Archery Talk Forum banner

cameras for a couple guys wanting to film

1240 Views 14 Replies 12 Participants Last post by  LetThemGrow
Fellas,

I'm looking for your suggestions on a camera to film bowhunts with. I think we're willing to spend anywhere from 300-1000 on one but just curious what your thoughts were. Thanks in advance!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
10,765 Posts
The cameras we use are not the highest price money can buy and they do just fine ,.FYI look at the G20 for the best bang and ease of use IMHO. And order the extended batteries and the complete extras package as well as wireless mics .

New G20 will be a bit over 1000

· Registered
889 Posts
I use the G20 and really like it. But when you say your looking to spend 300-1000$ is that just on the camera? Or for the whole setup? Sometimes your accessories are just as important. You need to have a good camera arm and fluid head to keep everything smooth. If you get a G20 I recommend a Remote and a shotgun mic. With the g20 your probably going to be closer to 1200$ by the time you get all the accessories. Extra batteries and memory cards keep adding up money. I've got a sony cx 430v decked out and ready to go if you think you might be interested.

· Registered
227 Posts
Would agree with the suggestions that the G20 would be a great camera to get stated with, we actually got started with the G10 as our first camera back in the day. One thing to consider with your budget though is that you are going to need to have more than just a camera. You will most likely need to get a tree arm, fluid head, remote, along with spare batteries and memory cards. Just something to keep in mind before your purchase your camera. Good luck, and fair warning, filming your hunts gets awfully addictive! Have fun guys!

· Feedn The Geese
12,840 Posts
I prefer the solo style footage. I say gopro. Thats my next move. Realistically making it for tv is a pipe dream, not that it's bad to dream. I think the wide angle better captivates.

· Registered
6,189 Posts
I prefer the solo style footage. I say gopro. Thats my next move. Realistically making it for tv is a pipe dream, not that it's bad to dream. I think the wide angle better captivates.
Wide angle isn't good for the distance to the target...best for filming yourself or near in...the Tactacam is good for longer distance...

· Silent Death
2,895 Posts
I use a G20 as my main camera, but if you have to get the rest of the gear look at the Canon R500, its a nice camera for $199 and you can spend the rest getting a decent arm/ fluid head and Mics. Until you get familiar with filming I don't think you'll see a huge difference from the camera. A GoPro or 2 is a great addition for POV and second angles!

· Registered
10,318 Posts
Def NOT a go pro. Great for close up second views...horrible for main views. Lots of choices and the g20 is a great one and on sale here and there for a touch over $800. We picked one up recently and have used it quite a bit without an external mic and am really impressed with the onboard mic, including its wind suppressing ability.

I suggest whatever camera you are looking at to gooogle reviews for it and just pay attention to the low light remarks. I am talking pro reviews, not consumer reviews. Even a decent phone takes great hd video...until conditions aren't perfect, then it goes downhill quick. Some of the Canon HFM series has their CMOS Pro sensors in them (same as the G20 and higher cams) and they are a good choice and can be found for great prices at times. I have a hfm41 that I lucked into for about $400 a couple years ago.

· Registered
18,643 Posts
Def NOT a go pro. Great for close up second views...horrible for main views. Lots of choices and the g20 is a great one and on sale here and there for a touch over $800. We picked one up recently and have used it quite a bit without an external mic and am really impressed with the onboard mic, including its wind suppressing ability.

I suggest whatever camera you are looking at to gooogle reviews for it and just pay attention to the low light remarks. I am talking pro reviews, not consumer reviews. Even a decent phone takes great hd video...until conditions aren't perfect, then it goes downhill quick. Some of the Canon HFM series has their CMOS Pro sensors in them (same as the G20 and higher cams) and they are a good choice and can be found for great prices at times. I have a hfm41 that I lucked into for about $400 a couple years ago.
Completely agree!

If you need help choosing a camera, check out an article I wrote on picking out a primary camera: http://selfilmed.com/blog/2013/09/choosing-a-primary-camera-for-selfilming-hunts/

· Registered
1,538 Posts
Wide angle isn't good for the distance to the target...best for filming yourself or near in...the Tactacam is good for longer distance...
Do you get discounts or work for them? You are spamming tactacam all over the place. While it does seem like a great product, most of time the suggestion is completely out of context to what the OP is looking for.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.