Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Excellence is tolerated.
2,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted this earlier this year but thought it was a good time to revisit it...

I did a camo study in my yard. My wife took the pics in black and white to give us a "deer's eye" view (in this thread let's not get into whether deer can see color or not). I jumped up in a 12 foot practice stand in my yard. Here are the pics (clockwise from upper left):

ASAT 3D
Realtree Hardwoods Grey Jacket, Realtree Hardwoods Green Pants
Predator Fall Grey
Natural Gear Snow Camo
Mossy Oak New BreakUp

I'll let the pictures speak for themselves...

Attachments

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
i guess it depends on the angle the deer are coimg from. if the animal is coming from you're left then that snow camo is gonna look like a big white hole in the tree.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Well, I really like the concept of ASAT, but to me it is the worse in these pictures. It looks like an Eagle's nest or Squirrel mansion. I know it breaks up your outline and on the ground is great. I am not bashing this camo, just stating from my eyes.

·
Registered
10,661 Posts
Very intersting...

Just a suggestion...

For a better comparison all photos should be shot from the same distance.

Also the sky background in the bottom two photos is lighter.

·
Registered
615 Posts
funny how we all see things a little different. To me the Nat Gear looks the best against the tree.

·
Retired GI "still serv'n"
13,960 Posts
I would go with the bottom 2 pics myself.........

What kind of trees were you in and were hey very green or more browns?

·
Registered
2007 Bowtech Equalizer, 2009 Hoyt Alphamax 32
974 Posts
Could you do the same comparisons with your back to the tree instead of standing off to the side?

Scott

·
Registered
416 Posts
My vote goes for the predator, because like stated before from a different angle you will look like a white hole in the tree to the deer with the snow camo.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Come on guys! Do you really think that a deer would look up into a light canopy of trees and see that the trunk of one of those trees had a 'hole' in it because you were wearing snow camo and be spooked?? That would suggest that deer can reason because they'd have to say...to themselves..."Why does that trunk of the tree stop and then start back up??" Not gonna happen. A deer wouldn't blink if the rest of the background was also light. Or at least big areas of it were light. Then they'd just look like another light area.

·
Excellence is tolerated.
2,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Marc Barger said:
Come on guys! Do you really think that a deer would look up into a light canopy of trees and see that the trunk of one of those trees had a 'hole' in it because you were wearing snow camo and be spooked?? That would suggest that deer can reason because they'd have to say...to themselves..."Why does that trunk of the tree stop and then start back up??" Not gonna happen. A deer wouldn't blink if the rest of the background was also light. Or at least big areas of it were light. Then they'd just look like another light area.
Right on the money, Marc.

I really think that another reason light-backed camo works so well is simply because deer are used to seeing humans as dark forms (a.k.a. Mossy Oak and Realtree).

1 - 20 of 50 Posts