Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are your thoughts of having camp fires in the camp while on a hunting trip?

·
Registered
865 Posts
in late season we have 1 going 24 hrs every day! smoldering along !

·
Registered
162 Posts
In my experience wood smoke will not really hurt your chances.

My brothers, father and I head out to our hunting cabin every fall for a week. The place is heated with a wood stove and we almost always have an outside fire going as well. We smell like wood smoke and worse after a few days and it does not affect the hunting. We hunt deer and moose in northeastern Saskatchewan.

My reasoning is a good hunter will play the wind to his advantage even if he had a morning shower, or lets pretend virtually no scent at all.

In full blaze orange (required in SK even if bowhunting in rifle season) as long as you play the wind, keep quiet and still, you can smell like a campfire and be sucessful.

·
Registered
655 Posts
gotta eat! gotta stay warm! and as mentioned, just play the wind!

·
Registered
563 Posts
I like a campfire while I`m hunting. Just look at my avatar.

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
What are your thoughts of having camp fires in the camp while on a hunting trip?
Do you go hunting in camp? Because my dad and I usually get in the truck and drive to wherever we want to hunt. I don't sit in a chair with my bow in my lap in full camo, with sentcover on, whispering because I'm waiting for a 4 point to come running through camp.

·
Chasin Swamp Donkeys
1,904 Posts
??

Do you go hunting in camp? Because my dad and I usually get in the truck and drive to wherever we want to hunt. I don't sit in a chair with my bow in my lap in full camo, with sentcover on, whispering because I'm waiting for a 4 point to come running through camp.

What ??
I think he is referring to scent on everything after a fire in or around the camp..

It take's alot of planning and work to remove all your clothing bag it and reverse that process in and out of camp or a vehicle !..

Kyle

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
wood smoke is a natural thing. animals don't usually get scared by it. of course, i hunt in the mountains where fires happen pretty regularly. it may not hold true for corn fields.

·
Registered
749 Posts
Well according to Louis Lamour.... dont stare into the fire. Staring into the fire makes it so that you cant adjust your eyes quick enough to see the Indian sneaking up behind you......

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Izzat my problem?

Well according to Louis Lamour.... dont stare into the fire. Staring into the fire makes it so that you cant adjust your eyes quick enough to see the Indian sneaking up behind you......
I been wondering why the eyes in the back of my head ain't been working so great 'round the campfire ! :mg:

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
Not to get up into the grill or anything but I am not mormon. Never will be, don't want to be. Yes they are scary. They got my brother. Suckiest part of living in Utah. If your not mormon, you are looked down upon and sometimes it can be hard. Election time is annoying too. ;)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts