Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've shot four coyotes with my bow. All taken opportunistically while deer hunting. This winter I want to get more into predator hunting and go out specifically looking to shoot some of them and thin them out in my deer spots.

I downloaded a couple of apps for my Google phone. "Predator Calling" and "Predator Calling Pro". They seem good. You can play squirrel or rabbit distress calls with your phone. I tried using a bluetooth speaker but the range wasn't long enough.

Looking at amazon they do have waterproof bluetooth speakers that are 100 foot range. Will this be enough?

I also got a lucky duck predator decoy that spins around for about $20. If I set this thing up with a bluetooth speaker under it and start calling with my phone, will the coyotes come running in?

How much range do I need for this to work? How loud should it be? Will the coyotes be fooled if I put it really loud so it calls them in from far away? Thanks in advance for helping out a newbie coyote hunter.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How loud should it be?

Does something like this work much better than bluetooth speakers would?

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Prim...Vx7jACh1WSgxGEAQYAiABEgJwvPD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

It's $160 on sale. The Primos Alpha Dog caller.

I'm not opposed to buying something like that. But it seems like I've already got a phone and all I should need is a speaker, right?

I do like that the Primos call has a 200 yard range. That's a lot better than 100 feet!

·
Registered
8,804 Posts
I got a $25 bluetooth speaker from Marshalls that I've used and it is plenty loud. About the size of a brick.

·
Registered
3,170 Posts
I hunt wide open country in SD, Ne and Kansas. Coyotes can come from a long ways away. On calm days you won’t need much volume to get a coyote to hear your call from a mile out. Add some wind and you will need more volume.
Now here is the question. Will a coyote respond from that far out. Yes they will but how they respond can be the deciding factor.

With the open terrain I hunt I still try to keep my call 50 yards and under. If I had my call at 200 yards and a coyote responds but hangs up at 200 yards. That’s going to be 400 yards from me. A lot farther then what I want to shoot. So there isn’t a huge advantage to getting the call out away from you.

As far as the blue tooth goes. I think it would work but not sure on the quality of the sounds in the app.

·
Registered
3,170 Posts
One more thing to add. With winds below 10 mph for volume I use 1/2 to 3/4 volume on the call. I always start off soft on the distress sounds but if I start off with howls there in the 3/4 volume range.
You will be amazed at how well a coyote can hear.

·
Elitist
5,841 Posts
Try it and have fun! If you think coyotes are going to come running in all the time you’re in for some disappointment though. And get ready to start spending more and more money on predator calling, it’s addicting. Also, you can probably not “thin them out”, they just keep on coming. Just do it for fun in the off season!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,789 Posts
Coyotes in the east are tough tough tough to call in. you can get a good entry level e caller for around 100 bucks. Don't expect them to come screaming in. If you hunt all winter you may kill one or two. I have been at hardcore for over 20 years and it can be humbling but dang is it awesome when it works. We have gone to 100% night hunting with night vision and thermal imaging which is way more effective.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I would love to try hunting them at night, but I'm in a suburban area. There's wood lots that are big enough to set up and call but not that I would be able to shoot a gun at night. Twenty people would call the cops!

I wonder if adding some meat bait into the mix would help draw them in.

I do agree that in New Hampshire where I'm hunting using a bow it will be very tough. I expect to maybe get one or two all winter if I'm really lucky and put my time in.

·
Team Gutshot
2,869 Posts
I now have the icotech GC350 and love it. Very clear and crisp sounding.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Very cool videos, guys. Keep 'em coming. Looking at that Icotech now. I might just buy a $40 100 foot range bluetooth speaker and see if it works. If not, I can use it camping and just buy a real one like the Icotech or the Primos Alphadog.

·
Team Gutshot
2,869 Posts
Very cool videos, guys. Keep 'em coming. Looking at that Icotech now. I might just buy a $40 100 foot range bluetooth speaker and see if it works. If not, I can use it camping and just buy a real one like the Icotech or the Primos Alphadog.
Icotech offers a slightly cheaper model (GC300) as well. Doesn't have the sd card or decoy features built in and only plays 12 calls vs 24. But its only $73.50 on amazon. https://www.amazon.com/ICOtec-GC300-Call-Wild-Electronic/dp/B00844Q3XC. If you want to go super cheap (which i personally wouldn't recommend) they offer the ICOtec Gc101XI which is available for for 49.99 on Midway USA https://ads.midwayusa.com/product/6...yvDtiezPD39d-M83eiyl5Fs28hJtNgGRoCSY4QAvD_BwE

·
Registered
2,447 Posts
Coyotes in the east are tough tough tough to call in. you can get a good entry level e caller for around 100 bucks. Don't expect them to come screaming in. If you hunt all winter you may kill one or two. I have been at hardcore for over 20 years and it can be humbling but dang is it awesome when it works. We have gone to 100% night hunting with night vision and thermal imaging which is way more effective.
Not to hijack but what optics are you using?

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
No worries about a hijack. I was going to ask the same thing.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts