Archery Talk Forum banner
  • Enter in this new Contest Sponsered by Walmart for your chance to win a $400 gift just in time for the 4th of July! HERE Contest Ends on the 30th.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have everything to build my own arrows except a cutter. Can I use a dremel as a substitute? Can't justify buying one only to use it once every couple of years. If so what speed works best on the dremel with the cut off disc?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Has anybody done this? I just experimented on some old arrows and everything went well. I have the G5 ASD so squareness is not an issue. I am going to assume it would be OK unless I read otherwise.

·
Hoyt Nation Life Member
15,077 Posts
As long as your using an abrsive disc. I wouldn't see why not. Cut Away Bro !!!

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have done this with great results at around 6000RPM with a standard cutoff disk that came with my dremel. Keeping it square is the difficult part without setting up some kind of fixture to hold the dremel.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I have done it a lot, works fine. Use the G5.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
I built a little gig out of wood and mounted the dremel to it to help keep the arrow square and it worked great...All I did is mounted it so the cutting wheel was close the the surface and that way I could just roll the arrow into the blade making a nice straight cut...

·
fall at last
3,260 Posts
When I first started building my own arrows, I used a Dremel and it worked ok, but man the time and effort I had to take to get the ends squared up afterwards was a booger. I finally broke down and bought an arrow saw. I still use square the ends with the G5 ASD, but it's usually only a few turns and they're good to go.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
I have cut about 4 dozen arrows with a dremel.

What I do is wrap blue masking tape around the shaft at the edge of where I going to cut. This gives me a good cut line to follow that is relatively visually square.

Then I cut off the ends 1/4"-1/2" beyond the masking tape line. I do this so when I make the final cut on the tape line, I can hold the dremel parallel with the shaft....otherwise the dremel will have to be held at an angle.

I then make the final cut and then use a sanding drum to lightly sand any high spots on the cut. I test fit the insert and re-sand untill the insert is flush.

Remove tape and then glue in the inserts. :thumbs_up

1 - 9 of 9 Posts