Archery Talk Forum banner

.....can a fletching make a big difference ???

907 12
i was paper tuning tonight and was playing around with different fletchings and was surprised to see how 3 different kinds of 1.5 vanes on the same kind of arrow flew a lil different. some holes were tarn right then the others were perfect holes. is this possible????? i was standing 8 ft away when i did this test. give me ur thoughts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
4,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thats funny cuz i was shootn the blazer x2s and they were out of control. they were the worst that i tested. some guys say paper tuning is a waist of time and i norn dont do it. i just wanted to see what my arrows were doing . hope i didnt screw myself by moving my rest. guess ill find out tomorrow .

· Registered
11,415 Posts
thats funny cuz i was shootn the blazer x2s and they were out of control. they were the worst that i tested. some guys say paper tuning is a waist of time and i norn dont do it. i just wanted to see what my arrows were doing . hope i didnt screw myself by moving my rest. guess ill find out tomorrow .
Its a great starting point, but its not the last step it take.

· Registered
55,421 Posts
YOU and others need to ask yourself ---------what does fletching do???????-------It steers your arrow. How would you drive your car without a steering wheel. Depending on the size, texture, design each effects the arrow flight different. If fletching didn't matter then why do we use it and why are there so many choices????? Why I don't put much stock into bare shaft tuning-------I don't shoot bare shafts so why would I tune a bow to what I don't use, I want to tune to what I use and works the best for my set up.

· Registered
1,739 Posts
i was paper tuning tonight and was playing around with different fletchings and was surprised to see how 3 different kinds of 1.5 vanes on the same kind of arrow flew a lil different. some holes were tarn right then the others were perfect holes. is this possible????? i was standing 8 ft away when i did this test. give me ur thoughts
Fletching matters more at longer distances. Changing fletching shouldn't be noticable at 8 feet unless, as bowhuntermitch says, there is contact with the rest.

· Banned
25,751 Posts
If your spine is not right you will see a difference in tears through paper. This is due to how well a particular vane corrects the weaker spine. When spined right you should not notice a difference. In fact you could take your vanes off and still shoot a bullet hole.

· Registered
55,421 Posts
MY choices for ME-----------4" full helical Truflight feathers or 4" helical Marco vanes. Last 3 years all my arrows a 4" feathers.
If I were doing what your doing glued in points, not going to hunt, then I might try 2" quickspins.

· Registered
4,635 Posts
YOU and others need to ask yourself ---------what does fletching do???????-------It steers your arrow. How would you drive your car without a steering wheel. Depending on the size, texture, design each effects the arrow flight different. If fletching didn't matter then why do we use it and why are there so many choices????? Why I don't put much stock into bare shaft tuning-------I don't shoot bare shafts so why would I tune a bow to what I don't use, I want to tune to what I use and works the best for my set up.
Because if bareshaft flys straight and true a fletched arrow will surely fly even better as it has less work to do thats why! Bareshaft tuned bows take alot of fine tuning But worth it in the end makes all other tuning as you go that much easier. But it does Not have to be done, but it sure helps especially when Long range tuning comes into play.

· DeaD Middle
4,450 Posts
Because if bareshaft flys straight and true a fletched arrow will surely fly even better as it has less work to do thats why! Bareshaft tuned bows take alot of fine tuning But worth it in the end makes all other tuning as you go that much easier. But it does Not have to be done, but it sure helps especially when Long range tuning comes into play.
X2, I like to get my nock height set you can do it very quickly at 10 yds.(inside my garage) with a fletched shaft an bareshaft adjusting rest until they hit together or same plane. Paper test... unless your getting contact your arrow shouldn't be affected by different fletch at 8 ft.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.