Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before I tell you how old my son is, I will just say this-

The Nuclear Ice Bow by Diamond has an adjustable draw length that starts at 14" and ends at 24". His Draw length is between that range.

Any opinions on how old or how young a kid should be before he/she gets started?

·
Registered
812 Posts
My son started in diapers. He had a plastic bow with foam arrows. We dipped the end of the arrow in shoe polish to mark where his arrow struck the target. Now he's 16 & is winning tournies in the mens classes.

·
Registered
4,074 Posts
My 10 year old started at 3 with the Cartel Mini Compound. Today he has a Nuclear Ice and a Hoyt Banshee....

The other one now 7 I started at 5......he's a handfull! LOL!

·
Registered
138 Posts
Well, my Dad handed me a shotgun at age ten. I believe it is important for the child to understand safety and the great responsibility that comes with handling a weapon. I am sure you are a great Dad and know your son very well. I have two daughters and though I have had a great relationship with them, they took to competitive swimming hard while growing up. They really spent a lot of time on it. That being said, my opinion is based soley on my experiences with my father. If it were my kid, I could definitely see going with archery earlier than age ten.

Good luck to you and your son! :)

·
Registered
102 Posts
My son has been shooting since he was 3 "drew bow back and released", but about half way through four he really started learning to shoot. He uses a release now and has great form except i just cant get him to hold steady when he hits the release.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Never too young

My grandson stated shooting at 2. He's 6 now and shooting a MiniGenesis. To keep them shooting it MUST BE FUN. Don't pressure them to much on form etc. at first. They'll soon figure out that they can shoot better if they listen to what you tell them.

·
Registered
672 Posts
My son started shooting at the age of 4. He is now 11 almost 12 and bow hunts and has been very succesful. They are never to young to start. Go for it.

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
My son started at 3 with a red cheapo compound if you call it that . upgraded to a black hand me down cheapo and is now shooting a diamond nuclear ice at age 5 .
just teach him about safety more than anything before you start , , never pull it back without a parent around, dont pull it back with out a arrow in it, only aim at the target, never point it towards people . NEVER NeVER dry fire it .

·
Registered
12,164 Posts
My daughter started at 3.....I just bought her a Nuclear Ice. She is 4 and is shooting it with a release.

I don't push her.....when she wants to shoot I let her. Last night she wanted to shoot so I put her release on her hand, her arm guard on and we went to the basement to shoot. She shot one arrow and then started playing with baby dolls. This is the same kid that in the summer will walk the 3d range and shoot 7-10 targets before she loses interest. Just let them ask to shoot. Don't ask them and you won't burn them out.

·
Registered
129 Posts
No kid is to young

If they can attempt to pull it back, then they are at the right age. But I will share some information I've heard about the Nuclear Ice package from our friends that work in a pro shops. When my boyfriend was looking at one for his 10 y/o daughter, they told him its not worth the price and that the strings pop off often that it becomes a burden. That's just an FYI.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
my daughter started at 5

she always wants to bet that she can hit a pop can at ten yards for ice cream......I got to up the bet cause it's costing me a lot of ice cream lately.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Let the child decide and make sure it is enjoyable. Balloons are great for keeping it fun when they start getting distracted. My daughter is 12 and has just started with archery and so have I. A friend gave her a hand me down bow and when I saw she was serious I bought her a Diamond Razor Edge. She has since slacked off some compared to me, but I have become an addict, so that is understandable. Just keep it fun and age should not matter.

·
Registered
4 Posts
If he is old enough to make smart decisions on his own about harvesting animals, he is old enough. If you don't trust him to do that, then I would wait.

Be ethical. You don't want wounded animals running around in the woods.

·
Registered
10,886 Posts
Let the child decide and make sure it is enjoyable. Balloons are great for keeping it fun when they start getting distracted. My daughter is 12 and has just started with archery and so have I. A friend gave her a hand me down bow and when I saw she was serious I bought her a Diamond Razor Edge. She has since slacked off some compared to me, but I have become an addict, so that is understandable. Just keep it fun and age should not matter.
Good post. As you can see by most of the responses, you can start them young, but each kid is different. I don't believe there is a standard answer to this question. If your kid shows interests and you've picked out a bow that he can easily shoot, then go for it.

If there is no interest and or the bow is too big for the kid, they may never want to shoot. My son just turned 10 and I started him a couple of years ago. He's not gunho about it yet, but will go out and shoot with me and has shoot in a few tournaments. I'm taking it slow with him and letting him decide when (if ever) he wants to get serious about it.

·
Registered
346 Posts
NEVER is a kid to young.... get him now and let him relize how fun it is.... get him into shooting and when he turns 16 he'll be good enoght that Levi will catty for him...

·
Registered
561 Posts
i bought my 6yr old a diamond edge fora xmas a few yrs back, he's 8.5 now and yankin 40lbs so he is legal to hunt here... he's a damn stud with that thing... another year or two he's going to be better than me, seriously...

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
If they can attempt to pull it back, then they are at the right age. But I will share some information I've heard about the Nuclear Ice package from our friends that work in a pro shops. When my boyfriend was looking at one for his 10 y/o daughter, they told him its not worth the price and that the strings pop off often that it becomes a burden. That's just an FYI.
I can agree with this to a point . the nuc ice we bought the cam lean was beyond terrible and i even emailed diamond to tell them the situation and got no response . Anyway it was fixed twisting up the yoke on the top and bottom and its not a issue anymore. but it would lean far enough that it would pop off if you tried to pull it back . Simple fix that should have been caught by there Q/C dept :secret:
But by all means one of the best bows for a young child that will last a long time

1 - 20 of 37 Posts