Archery Talk Forum banner

Can anyone guess age on these bucks?

646 14
Long story short got back into hunting after 7 years. Put a camera out on a funnel and these bucks all showed up within a week. These are the best pics. Basically I cant tell if these are young bucks with decent racks or older bucks with weak racks. I know its the rut and I may never see them again but I dont like shooting young deer when they could end up being studs. Thanks for your time!

Attachments

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Real helos, have 2 rotors
10,321 Posts
I don't know where those deer live, but in the Midwest, I'd call them all 2 years old.
Three years at most.

· Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Three different bucks. Can’t see the first pic. In listed order 5,4, and 3 year old.
I don't know where those deer live, but in the Midwest, I'd call them all 2 years old.
Three years at most.
Northern Arkansas so close to Midwest. Very few deer around here make it to 5. Thats what threw me off because the first one looks like a 4.5 yo to me

· Real helos, have 2 rotors
10,321 Posts
Northern Arkansas so close to Midwest. Very few deer around here make it to 5. Thats what threw me off because the first one looks like a 4.5 yo to me
It's really hard to judge from pics. The camera really skews perspective.
I bet he'd look a lot smaller/younger if those pics were at night.

In fact, I wouldn't be at all surprised if he's the same buck as #5.

· Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It's really hard to judge from pics. The camera really skews perspective.
I bet he'd look a lot smaller/younger if those pics were at night.

In fact, I wouldn't be at all surprised if he's the same buck as #5.
I agree, I will say from what Ive read I think 3 is the oldest. Bigger body, longer face, thick neck. Just looks more mature. He just wasnt blessed with size to match the development of his rack. I also think 2 is a young stud.

I really dont know why I care so much, theyll all be killed in the next 2 weeks by Billybob, 6 coors deep, with a 30-30 while they chase does lol

· Registered
10,697 Posts
Aging guesses are best accomplished by HIDING the antlers and studying a broadside body shot.
Yup
I said 2 to 5 years old knowing full well that people would guess their age in that zone. Unless the op has pictures of these deer from fawns it’s just that a guess. Some have more education of aging deer in the hood then others.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.