Archery Talk Forum banner

Can anyone tell me how old is this bow?

919 Views 11 Replies 10 Participants Last post by  preyquester
Im not sure if its the right part of the forum to ask this question, so mods forgive me

had it for 8yrs(or so)
its made by Browning, ser nr FOA 68XX
the guy I got it from claimed the pull to be around 90#, few weeks ago got it measured at 54#

anything maintanance wise I should know/do? right now it has a camo tape on, but end of this season its comming of and if I can afford another one (a recurve most likely) Im going to retire it

thanks for any help
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
2,004 Posts
Looks like it could be a Browning Bantam not sure of the year of manufacture but it is pretty old

Rick

· Registered
2,784 Posts
let me guess....

i believe that is the one sitting bull used at the battle of the little bighorn, so that makes it about 132 years old.....lol sorry couldnt resist.

· Registered
1,273 Posts
Should be early to mid 1980's based on two things. Most pre 1980ish compounds used metal brackets on the ends of the limbs where the cams mounted and that one has the split limb setup. Secondly, the one piece riser/limb bows were only made for a few years and if my memory serves, it would have been early 80's.

· Registered
9,659 Posts
Browning Cobra

That is a Browning Cobra. I would not shoot arrows that are very light with it. I think they were made in the late '70s, early 80's. I have a Bantam, and they are shorter with a beefier "riser" section. The Cobra should be about 44" axle to axle.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks all!
yes joe, its a Cobra, at first I thuoght the name was of the sight maker, but you just confirmed it for me, its also very long for a compound, almost 45in a2a

any maintanance tips? I could swear that when I got it it was much harder to pull, not so anymore, or I grew some muscles:)

· Registered
9,659 Posts
Wood core limbs

The Cobra, like many bows of its day, used wood core limbs, probably Maple, with fiberglass backing and facing. As I hear it, the wood can compress over time, and lose draw weight, especially since these bows are "strung" all the time, unlike a recurve that you can easily let down. My Bantam is a real unusual one though. It scales at 68# at peak weight. Still not that fast with a nearly 10" brace height. Maintenance? Keep the synthetic wheels lubed with a compatible lubricant, maybe graphite. Again, the limbs will probably not do well with light arrows. Most bows with the "teardrop" cables are quite loud compared to modern bows. They are very light to carry though.:)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.