Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Might be a silly question I have here but way back in 1996 I bought a Browning Hydroflece jacket and set of bibs that to this day are the warmest and quietest hunting clothing I have owned. Those were my gun hunting days so that camo is black and blaze orange. I just pulled them out of the closet to dig myself out from this blizzard and I would love to use them for bowhunting. Does anyone know if that fabric can be dyed to a more darker camo pattern? Thanks

·
Registered
5,128 Posts
Depends on the fabric but likely yes. Rit Dye will likely color it. Look at the label then go to the rit dye web site to see how they tell you to do it. It very inexpensive to do and as easy as boiling water..

·
Registered
6,731 Posts
As the above guy sai.
Might buy some Rit die and try it on a small part of the clothing. That will confirm that it can be done. And will give you a chance to see th finished color, in case you want to go lighter or darker.

·
Registered
171 Posts
You really need to test it. Some synthetics are dyed while in a liquid state (solution dyed) and will not accept other dyes.....some fabrics are made with no color and are engineered to accept dyes. Rit makes a dye specifically for polyester so make sure to get the right one. I tried to dye a fleece lined hat that wouldn't accept any color no matter what I did.

·
Registered
8,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wow good to know. I’ll definitely be checking that Rit dye. I appreciate the info.

·
Disco89
981 Posts
You could use them as is. Almost any gun hunter can testify that deer don't see orange, or at least not in a way like we do or that startles them. Many a time I've had deer within feet of me in blaze orange. As long as they don't smell you, or you move, you are pretty hidden at least in respect to bow range.

If you want to change the color because you feel dumb dressed in blaze orange with a bow, there are several videos on youtube about dying and even painting clothing. Give it enough time and the paint/dye smells will disappear.

·
Registered
2,447 Posts
black walnut dye..

·
Registered
8,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You could use them as is. Almost any gun hunter can testify that deer don't see orange, or at least not in a way like we do or that startles them. Many a time I've had deer within feet of me in blaze orange. As long as they don't smell you, or you move, you are pretty hidden at least in respect to bow range.

If you want to change the color because you feel dumb dressed in blaze orange with a bow, there are several videos on youtube about dying and even painting clothing. Give it enough time and the paint/dye smells will disappear.
I do agree with you. I have been less than 10 yards away from deer wearing these clothes but I am doing it more to be hidden from other hunters. I hunt public land and I don't want to be seen from the distance. I leave my hang on stands up all season and the less visible the better.

·
Registered
8,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Lots to look into here. I appreciate all the tips.

·
Disco89
981 Posts
I do agree with you. I have been less than 10 yards away from deer wearing these clothes but I am doing it more to be hidden from other hunters. I hunt public land and I don't want to be seen from the distance. I leave my hang on stands up all season and the less visible the better.
Maybe more visible is better? Think about it. You are a guy hunting on public land, you easily spot a guy wearing blaze orange clothing during archery season. Would you hunt closer to him or further away? Personally I might think the guy is a nutjob, and silently move as far away as possible. You would have the place to yourself! :D

·
Arrow-minded Conservative
3,273 Posts
Put an ASAT leafy suit over it, that way you're concealed while hunting, but can take it off to be highly visible while tracking.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts