Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering if anyone has had any luck with them. I had a nice 8 point respond to the call last year but most of the time they either ignore it or run off. And has anyone tried blowing in the little hole on the can. It makes a nice doe bawl and Im gonna try that this year.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I've had many young bucks respond to a can call, just never a mature deer. Never have seen any deer get ran off by using it although I have seen a few that looked then ignored it.

Blowing in the hole... never tried it that way before.

·
Registered
8,821 Posts
Took a buck by "accident" why bending over in my stand and the can "going off". All of a sudden a good 3 1/2 year old buck comes crashing in.

·
When's bow season start?
8,912 Posts
The answer is a definitive YES. Just wish I had a pic to prove it! :cry:

Two years ago, I climbed out of my ladder stand and left my quiver and daypack on the ground, walking about 100 yards away to look down the hill towards the creek bottom where a new sewer line was being installed. I started glassing the temporary bridge and the clearcuts with my binos and suddenly spotted a 140 class 10-pointer about 125 yards away.

I should have stopped right then and there, made my way slowly back to my stand (where I had a doe decoy set up) and tried calling then, but I didn't think before I acted. I pulled out my Quaker Boy "Bleat-N-Heat" can and called once. The buck stopped and started looking around in my general direction. I called again, he jumped over a small feeder stream and started marching straight up the hillside.

Now I'm stuck with nowhere to go. I got down on my knees and tried to set up as best as I could, but he had a choice of two trails to come up so I knelt in a fashion that hopefully would give me a shot no matter which trail he came up. I saw his antlers bobbing up and down as he made his way up to me.

At 17 yards he turned to his right (my left), giving me a shot that was 90% broadside (maybe slightly quartering-to but nothing to worry about). I came to full draw, settled the pin in the crease behind his shoulder and squeezed the trigger on my Mongoose.

At the instant the bow fired the arrow I heard a sound like a telephone book being ripped in half. The buck trotted off about ten yards, stopped for a minute or so, and ambled away. I called my friend on my cell and told him to meet me so we could trail the big ten point.

I waited an hour for Mark to show up, leaving my bow at the sight of the shot. We made our way back and I had Mark walk to the spot the buck was standing, and while he could see disturbed ground from the buck's hooves, there was no hair, blood or any other sign of a hit. The arrow continued downhill at least 70-80 yards and was lost. But I could follow his tracks in the mud and I trailed him at least 175 yards and he showed absolutely zero signs of a hit. It was a clean miss.............at 17 yards.

It was a cold November day and I was wearing my insulated coveralls, so I'm guessing the fletching hit my bow arm sleeve, although I felt nothing.

So while it was exciting watching him come to the can, I was devastated. :cry:

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
I have called in a couple of deer with the can, yes it works, however it tends to be a bit on the loud side. You can, and I do, blow into the hole on the bottom to get basically the same sound, just quieter.

·
Registered
11,814 Posts
Last year I had a BIG mature 8-point working his way on the opposite side of a ravine to me. I used the call twice and he came running down the ravine and up my side but he veered to his left away from me into some thick brush. and just walked out into a cornfield where there were 4 does feeding.

·
Registered
318 Posts
In my pocket

I had a shooter buck right under my stand, and the can was in my thigh pocket. When I was ready to draw, for some reason my leg started shaking and the can started rattleing. I heard it, and so did Mr. Buck!!:eek: I will take the can with me, but not in my pocket!!!!!

·
Just beat Terry Club
9,333 Posts
Big Red said:
I had a shooter buck right under my stand, and the can was in my thigh pocket. When I was ready to draw, for some reason my leg started shaking and the can started rattleing. I heard it, and so did Mr. Buck!!:eek: I will take the can with me, but not in my pocket!!!!!
Sounds like something that would happen to me. Gotta love it when the adrenaline flows so hard that you get that uncontrolable shake.

·
Registered
434 Posts
I've had good luck with it.....I pulled a 151" mature buck off a doe in Iowa to the sound of the can a few years back....that being said, I've also had them ignore it as well....if a buck you want to shoot isn't coming any closer or walking away, why not try horns, grunt tube, can or whatever you are comfortable trying.

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
Lil can, big can, or original recipie? which is best?\

Josh

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Ive had the Lil Can for years and really have not had any luck with it. It sounds good to me but then again I am not in a great area for bucks. (NW Vermont)
I bought the Great Big Can last fall and did some cold calling and had a nice buck blast out of the woods looking for the doe.
That raised my confidence in the can calls abou 1000%. LOL
I plan to have both out the but looks like the great big can is my go to call.

·
Registered
4,114 Posts
I used the small can two years ago and called in a real nice buck the third time I rolled it over.That buck wanted that doe!! Last year I hunted in a more hilly and rough terrain.The can didn't work then.At least no buck showed up.This year I'm going out with the "Big" can.I'm sure the can works.

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
I've had more respondes from deer using the Can then with any other call. I use the original, I would not go to the woods without my can. They definitly work.

·
Registered
14,295 Posts
Durocab1 said:
Took a buck by "accident" why bending over in my stand .
Who did you have up there with ya? :pukey:

No, this season will be the first yeat with me using the can. A guy told me YOU HAVE TO HAVE IT so I spent $9 and now I have it. :darkbeer:

·
Registered
8,821 Posts
Slippy Field said:
Who did you have up there with ya? :pukey:

No, this season will be the first yeat with me using the can. A guy told me YOU HAVE TO HAVE IT so I spent $9 and now I have it. :darkbeer:

Only Slippy would go BrokeBuck Mountain from this topic!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,820 Posts
I got the Big one and am planning on trying it a lot during the rut this year;)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts