Archery Talk Forum banner

Can Calls?

1798 Views 39 Replies 28 Participants Last post by  sheboyganjohn
My buddy saw a buck running full speed behind a doe the other day. Is is still to early for these calls?
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

· Registered
2,973 Posts
Yesterday morning I hunted and seen 5 different bucks and about 6 does. The little bucks were running the does but the older bucks were basically just standing there watching them. I think a guy could call in a buck right now. It might not be a giant buck but I think a few might come to the call. I would say by next weekend things should be going pretty good. Good luck:darkbeer:

· Registered
23,637 Posts
The "Can" calls are one of today's most effective calls, and I use it the whole season. It is the one call I have no qualms using on Opening Day.

I have used the Primos Can several times to lure bucks I have shot at, and missed, back into range. I "canned" in one 8 pointer 3 times, aafter missing him 3 times....probably could have brought him back again...but I was running low on arrows.

· Classifieds Administrator
39,731 Posts
The "Can" calls are one of today's most effective calls, and I use it the whole season. It is the one call I have no qualms using on Opening Day.

I have used the Primos Can several times to lure bucks I have shot at, and missed, back into range. I "canned" in one 8 pointer 3 times, aafter missing him 3 times....probably could have brought him back again...but I was running low on arrows.
Should have threw the can at him Dan! :wink:

I do agree with the can call, deer will usually respond to it during the whole season. Deer are social animals and like to be vocal with one another.

It just so happens more guys only call or rattle during the rut thus thinking it only works when the rut is on and no other time.

· Registered
23,637 Posts
One othwer thing.....for some reason, I NEVER call blindly with a Can...I only use it if I can see the deer.

· Registered
1,074 Posts
last night

I called a 4 point in last night with the can call. He definately came in looking.

· Registered
19,079 Posts
Maybe a little early for a can call on mature bucks, but you never know? I dont think there is a golden rule or wrong time to try anything especially if you are trying to entice one in. I personally would not try "blind calling" with a can this early, but if I had a buck that was just out of range or going the other direction I just might try anything to entice him in!! I know alot of guys that find success calling and rattling earlier than most would try it.

· Registered
600 Posts
I Agree, a doe Bleat Can works better this early then say a buck grunt tube...

For me as there is far more doe in my area then Bucks... Also the Bucks seek Does as the Brains of the woods and allow them to travel up a trail to a field to fed first... So a little Doe bleats to intise a buck that doe are in the area and heading near or to a field is a plus...

A Buck Grunt will make the buck this soon in season not have as much reaction..As they don't want to ventor this early into a Huge bucks area or better yet the doe don't want to be bothered with a buck chasing them.. So I use the doe bleat and fawn bleat sounds this early.. But I may only flip the can over without seein deer is as I walk threw leaves to my stand...So the deer that hear the leaves under my steps don't spook if they don't see me,yet just hear leaves and then a bleat sound now andthen....

Best wishes and come on October 18th.. I am Talking myself into a Frenzy

· Registered
spoon & crockpot proud member......killing tomorrows trophys today
34,765 Posts
My buddy saw a buck running full speed behind a doe the other day. Is is still to early for these calls?
Your bud may have seen some early October rut action. Not every doe is going to come into estrous during the same 2 week period in November. Some come into estrous early and some come in late.

Last year, I saw a buck trailing about 100 yards behind an adult doe and her fawn. The date was 10/13. When he was going to head away from me, I used the Primos Can and an HS Tru Talker grunt tube to pull him within 11 yards before he busted me in the tree. I'm convinced it was early rut activity based on the way the buck was moving with him nose down and how he reacted to my calls.

A mini October rut it real. It's just not very pronounced.

· Registered
4,458 Posts
One othwer thing.....for some reason, I NEVER call blindly with a Can...I only use it if I can see the deer.
I use it all the time when calling blind, works great for me.:darkbeer:

· Registered
19,079 Posts
I will call blindly with a can if I have witnessed rutting activity otherwise only on deer I am trying to entice my direction. I usually use a vocal grunt out of my grunt tube for that thou.

· Registered
4,480 Posts
I have been using a can call for some time now.

I have had bucks come running to it and some completely ignore it.

I have killed more does with it than bucks though. Next time you have a doe feeding out of range or something. Turn that can over a few times and I will almost guarantee you that she will come check it out.

· Registered
251 Posts
How many calls is sufficient. if your calling blindly with a can and grunt tube, what is a good cadence. how many bleats per hour, etc. I just got into calling last year and am still looking for every bit of information on it to help me out.

· Registered
23,637 Posts
I was thinking of getting one of the can calls, which ones are you guys using? I know that Primos makes several models, is one better than the others?

The Original Can or the Long Can will do ya fine.

· Registered
5,628 Posts
Try calling blindly. :wink:

Especially pre-rut, and even during the rut.

I have had bucks come that i never saw during a calling sequence, and i heard them long before i saw them, they were bustin thru the brush.

If a buck is alone, the can will usually bring him in, and he may come fast.
If he's with a doe, it may or may not work, in my experience.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.