Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a bow from a buddy that I would like to do a custom Paint job on. I am going to powder coat the riser. I was told that I can not powder coat the Limbs because of the heat. I was wondering if I can Chrome plate the limbs? Is their any other Method besides spray painting the limbs?

- Thank You

·
Registered
161 Posts
Chrome plating is heavy and brittle. you would not want it on anything flexible.

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
Call Josh Brown at Collin County Archery in Princeton, TX. He does some amazing custom design work, he has some finished pics up on his facebook page.

·
Registered
8,433 Posts
Years ago, Martin had a mirror finished riser. I don't know how it was achieved, but I think it was by anodizing. A couple of the guys at my club have them and the finish seems to hold up well.

I don't see a possibility of matching the chrome color on your limbs. Maybe someone has a flexible paint, but I've never seen it.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
go with Duracoat, Cerakote, Film Dip, or Kolorfusion on the limbs. Those are pretty much your options. But, within all that lies a HUGE variety of so many different types of finish... you'll be able to find ANYTHING to compliment your riser if you do it chrome.

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
I am confident that you could chrome dip your riser. The flexing would be now worse than a buck frame and having raced bmx as a kid I had a dozen or more chrome frames and never had an issue with the finish. The only concern I have is the tolerances for the limb cups and limbs. Also it's would not be an option for the limbs. Personally think it would look great chromed with black limbs. Good luck with what ever you do.

·
Bowhunter
1,975 Posts
I would imagine that a chrome like ceramic finish would work well, it is used on exhaust components all the time and those flex, expand and contract a lot.

·
<------Reese
Reckoning, GEN7X, Fast Eddie XL, Easton 6.5 Matrix, DCA IconX 625
15,647 Posts
You could polish the riser to a mirror finish and than clear coat it.

For the limbs, orarcher could recommend some options.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts

·
Caution! Sardonicism!
21,296 Posts
Yes it't possible Bowtech done it several years ago.
Probably not "chrome" plating, but plastic metallizing. Different process entirely. Similar visually, though.

·
Registered
5,033 Posts
Browning, in the late 80's had two bows available either in silver (chrome) or actual gold plated risers. I believe they were the Midas models, but the limbs were black. Cheers--BB

·
Caution! Sardonicism!
21,296 Posts
Probably not "chrome" plating, but plastic metallizing. Different process entirely. Similar visually, though.
Oh - and a reread made me realize that I was not clear on what I was referring to being "plated" with the metallizing process: the limbs and other "flexy" bits. The riser (if metal of any sort) can be easily chromed.

Sorry.

·
Registered
3,783 Posts
Back in the mid 90s I had a pse mach 6 that Wayne nobles owned. I think he won the ibo crown..or something big..and had the riser come plated. He actually gave the bow to me..very young at the time..and told me to enjoy. It held up pretty good and looked good too

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
vftcandy would be one of your best resources for this question

1 - 20 of 20 Posts