Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just found out that my bow was given to me from the bow shop three years ago with a draw lenth of 29 1/2". I have been shooting it like this for three years. I have killed one doe with it and shot another, but couldn't find her last year. Last night I went to get a kisser button on my bow to help with my anchor point. The guy helping me tells me the draw length is too long. I get measured and my draw length is 27 1/2". The mistake was made when I bought the bow. They are ordering me new cams and replacing them at no cost. The question is this....Can anyone give me an opinion on what will the affects be on my shooting with a shorter draw length? will this help me out or tighten up my groups???

·
Registered
35 Posts
Im really new...but the bow I am purchasing had its draw length changed last night when i was shooting it, made it shorter.

I felt like I had more control of the shot, less effort to pull back and hold it for the shot I wanted to take. I don't shoot great groups yet, but it definetly was shooting closer together after as opposed to before, but my experience is very limited

·
Registered
16,024 Posts
I read once that a lot of people are shooting bows that are too long for them and once they shorten up the draw length they become better shooters. I checked mine out and I was only an inch too long but my shooting has improved a 100%.

·
2A whiner
40,383 Posts
It should

If it fits better then yes it should help you tight up your groups. If you have made physical adjustments in order to shoot the way it is now you may not notice it @ first but it will help. You will probably notice long range accuracy improve a lot. & you should stay much more consistent during a long practice session or when you are simply tired.
Of interest is that coaches will generally tell you it is better to shoot to short of a DL than to long.
On another note, talk about great customer service. 3 yrs later & they fix it on THEM.:darkbeer:
You will also have to deal w/ slower speeds although with proper arrow selection you can mitigate some of that. If nothing else this would be an opertune time to re evalutate your overall technique & make positive steps to improve your form. I'm sure you will have a few form issues that will need to be relearned or properly learned.
Good luck to U & I hope it does not have a negative impact on your hunting.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Yes it Will hep your groups by improving your form. I shot for 2 yrs as a 29, switched to 28 because someone told me I should. I shot for another 7-8 years. I picked up two new bows this year and they are 27.5's. My shooting is better then it ever was.
Good luck

·
Registered
5,827 Posts
You will shoot much better as said above!!! From the time i turned 16 until now i have been shooting 27.5.
My pro shop kept me about half an inch too long so that i could grow into the bow and boy did I. Fit's like a glove,

·
Registered
358 Posts
tg273

cobow gives some great insight here--use this as an opportunity to revamp your shooting style and improve your ability--get a coach. 2" is a bunch and it will definitely change the way you draw and anchor. Stick with it and your sight picture will become steadier and your ability to hold will improve, given that 27.5" is your true draw length. Good luck!

·
Registered
329 Posts
This sounds similar to what happened to me. I bought a Vipertec at a local shop a couple of years ago as a Newbie. :embara:
I was "measured" and told I was a 28.5 draw length and was sold a 28.5" - 30" bow. I never got very good with it, but I figured I was new to archery and it would come in time.

This past spring I went to a different shop looking for a drop-away rest after hearing that he was the best bow mechanic in the area and also had good prices on equipment.
It took him about 10 seconds to see that my draw length was too long. This had caused bad form habits. I ended up selling the bow to one of the guys here on AT and got my current 26.5" - 28" bow set at 27.5.
My groups got better immediately. Then I found A.T. :)
I got a lot of form help from the folks here. Now I'm getting 4" groups at 35 yds. :banana:

·
Registered
24 Posts
What did the pro shop use to check your draw length? When I bought my bow the shop (the word pro is missing for a reason) used the bow with the arrow attached to hit. When I pulled it back it, the arrow measured 27" - hence my original "draw length". After shooting for some time and working on form, the pro shop (not where I bought my bow) noticed that I was bending my arm too much to reach my desired anchor point, an inch too short.

Moral of the story: Find a good pro shop, let them evaluate your form and adjust draw length as needed to reach desired anchor point!

·
Registered
5 Posts
You will shoot better ... When my string gets a little long (from usage) I start shooting bad, When is new and thigth I shoot better and is only 1/4 inch shorter ...Good luck

·
Registered
749 Posts
Check out nuts&bolts, he's an incredible help

Go over to the General Discussion page and do a search on "form". Take a look at the coaching going on over there by "nuts&bolts." This guy is a master at evaluating form and shooting. I've been incorporating some of his techniques and working on the "Power Triangle", and it helps a lot. Actually, through the coaching he provides, a lot of guys have a little bit longer, but correct, draw length. I don't fatigue shooting now, and I'm much more solid. Granted, I have a long way to go until I would consider my grouping where I want it, but I am an admitted over-analyzer and a perfectionist. If nuts&bolts reads this, a big "Thank you."

·
Registered
838 Posts
I like the part when you said, "Can I get an opinion". Here... On Archery Talk... I knew you could... LOL

·
Registered
625 Posts
Draw length seems to be one of the most overlooked issues among many archers. Typically, first time archers, and some veterans, will extend their bow holding arm holding the bow fully out. What this does is over extend your draw length by sometimes up to 2". When checking your draw length, make sure your elbow on your bow holding arm is bent comfortably. This will show in the draw length immediately.

You can tell if your draw length is too long just by looking at your elbow at full draw. If it's locked you are way too long.

Your anchor point may never change, but the angle of your elbow should when you shorten up. This give much more control to your bow and ultimately your shots.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
SAFETREEHUNT

Exactly how many degrees of bend in the bow arm elbow are the correct amount?? What do you use to measure this amount of bend? If you will get out and observe expert shooters you wil find some with bent elbows and some with straight elbows. Are you saying that only a bent elbow is correct?

Some coachs say that the bow arm should be relaxed. How can a bow arm be relaxed if it is bent, seems to me it would require muscle tension to keep it from bending more? I favor a straight arm but do not tell others that it is the only way. I personally think that the bent elbow style started because someones bow was too short and he bent his elbow to accomodate.

The best advice I can give is try different DL's and use what results in the steadiest holding on target, that should be your correct DL.

·
Premium Member
2,122 Posts
Donhudd said:
SAFETREEHUNT

Exactly how many degrees of bend in the bow arm elbow are the correct amount?? What do you use to measure this amount of bend? If you will get out and observe expert shooters you wil find some with bent elbows and some with straight elbows. Are you saying that only a bent elbow is correct?

Some coachs say that the bow arm should be relaxed. How can a bow arm be relaxed if it is bent, seems to me it would require muscle tension to keep it from bending more? I favor a straight arm but do not tell others that it is the only way. I personally think that the bent elbow style started because someones bow was too short and he bent his elbow to accomodate.

The best advice I can give is try different DL's and use what results in the steadiest holding on target, that should be your correct DL.
I have to agree with you Don.Years ago I would say the majority were too long but it seems like it has turned the opposite way.I see many shooters who are way too short.If you attend any national shoots and watch the pro"s,very few have a bent elbow.Your sentence,use what results in the steadiest hold hits it on the head.A short draw will usually result in short rapid shaking where too long will result in large circular loops of movement.The only one that can say which works the best for you is you!

·
Registered
18 Posts
DairyVet has the right track. I read a lot of posts by Nuts and Bolts on form and decided my draw length was too long. I shortened it by 1.5" and started to use true back tension for release. Hold and grouping immediately improved. Post pictures of your form and someone will help.

·
Registered
14,752 Posts
Same thing here! You will be a much better shot now! I hunted for over 10 yrs and didn't realize my problem. Good luck!

·
Registered
6,796 Posts
It will feel akward at first, but after time you should notice an improvement in your shooting.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts