Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if I could keep my current arrows with this change: 69lb, 26.5in draw, 340grain arrow w/ 100grain tips. From that set up to: 60lb, 26.5in draw, 340grain.

I really don't want to have to buy new arrows so if 60lb is not possible then what about 65lb? im lowering the poundage and keeping the same arrow so I don't think that it will hurt the arrow any but I do not know the fundamentals of it. my arrow say they are rated from 60-75 pounds.

what would be the draw back of this if their would be any?

·
Registered
5,052 Posts
those arrows are rated for that weight assuming they are left at a length of 28' to 30" once you cut them down they become a great deal stiffer. You didn't mention it but I'm assuming you are shooting a compound with a release aid. If that assumption is true you can shoot the existing arrows but it will be more difficult to get a great tune. Adding weight to the front of the arrow will help but they may still be stiffer than you want.
read the spine section in the Carbon Arrow University
http://www.huntersfriend.com/carbon_arrows/hunting_arrows_selection_guide_chapter_3.htm

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
From a safety standpoint, it is fine to shoot a stiffer spine. The danger comes with shooting too light an arrow (may damage the bow) or too flexible a spine (cause damaged, broken arrow).

The main thing you will notice is the arrows flying slower and dropping faster, so you will have to readjust your sight pins. It is okay to shoot what you have, but you may want to go with a more flexible spine when you do buy new arrows.

Go

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys, bow is not at 65lb and shooting pretty smoothly still. can hardly notice a difference except easier draw and maybe a tad slower (maybe 15-20fps tops slower) thanks guys!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts