Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had my Hoyt Trykon re tuned a couple weeks ago. I've been shooting bullet holes through paper, and field points are right on when shooting at target spots at 20, 30, 40. Never been shooting this good. I bought some NAP Razor Caps 100 and suddenly my groups are sporadic. Some shots hit the mark, but most were 2-3 inches low or left. I was under the impression that if my bow was timed and tunned correctly I wouldn't have to change my sights for a fixed blade broad head. Is this a misconception, do you always have to tweek you sights for a broadhead. I've always used mechanicals so I've never had this problem, but was looking for a little extra penetration power. Thanks for you help

·
Smilin' Bob
25,077 Posts
Do a search for "micro tuning" or "broadhead tuning". Unless you can tell the difference in a "bullet hole" being 0.003 larger horizontally than it is vertically you need to rely on something else as an indicator of tuning performance.:)

·
Registered
17 Posts
go to eastonarchery.com look at down loads their is a tuning guide it will show how to tune for broad heads a few adjustments you will not need to change sights

·
Registered
92 Posts
There is a great article in the new issue of peterson's whitetail bowhunting magazine about tuning a bow for fixed blade broadheads.I strongly recommend it.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Spin test your arrows. It might not be the bow, it could be that the arrows aren't spinning true. Check them to see if they wobble when spun, if they do change the head to a different arrow until it doesn't wobble. Try shooting them after doing this.

·
Registered
664 Posts
You need to retune your bow using your fixed blades. This is part of the tuning process. It shouldn't take anything more than micro-adjustments to your rest. If this doesn't get field points and broadheads hitting the same spot, then start moving your sight around shooting broadheads.

·
Banned
2,045 Posts
A bullet whole thru paper does not mean your bow is "tuned" Easton has a guide on how to tuned your broadheads.

I was shooting feathers and switch to blazers, guess what, I had to adjust my rest a hair to the left to get blazers with broadheads to hit same place as without(field points). Now it is right on!!

·
Get out and shoot!
3,798 Posts
One of the problems between field tips and broad heads is the center of gravity changes a little because the tips stick out further. I once had some field tips that stuck 1/4" out of the insert and the weight extanded back into the arrow about 1 1/2". I shot all summer long feeling real good until I put on my 85 gn Thunderheads. They flew like stink! all over the place. I went and bought 5 different heads and nothing shot good. Turned out my arrows were under spined and now I have cx300s plus lots of heads to try. And I use normal field tips. I hope you get it figured out.

·
Registered
703 Posts
hunter3d said:
Spin test your arrows. It might not be the bow, it could be that the arrows aren't spinning true. Check them to see if they wobble when spun, if they do change the head to a different arrow until it doesn't wobble. Try shooting them after doing this.
Insert can also cause a wobble problem

1 - 9 of 9 Posts