Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do i know hoow much offset i am putting with my straight fletch clamp and is there any good directio0ns on how to use it or can someone help explain it to me please.

·
Registered
6,909 Posts
They are pretty helpful of u call them...the directions leave a little to be desired. That said it's a great jig. As far as setting the offset...I found a regular ol compass to work well. Has to have 0/360 marks...set the magnets so that the clamp is.center line of shaft. I use a rectangular compass...round won't work so hot....set compass edge on top of clamp and set to 0-180 degrees. Dial it in... I prefer a little over 2 degrees. Some like 3. From my testingi saw no difference between 2-3 degrees. The compass will get you right on.

·
Registered
6,926 Posts
I am not quite that technical with the compass. What I do is set the bottom mark just off of center and then place a clamp with fletching in it on magnets. Rotate it as far as you can and maintain good fletching contact. No need to overthink this one!

·
(aka lug nut)
49,569 Posts
How do i know hoow much offset i am putting with my straight fletch clamp and is there any good directio0ns on how to use it or can someone help explain it to me please.
Hello VarmintSniper30:

If you are fletching Blazers,
then,
the Blazers are 2-inches long.

So,
if you set the back end of the vane at the arrow shaft centerline...

and

if you set the front of the vane 1/16th-inch away from the arrow shaft centerline, using straight clamp...

this is a 2 degree offset.

·
sometimes reality hurts
3,481 Posts
offset percentage is easily calculated with some simple trigonometry. there are plenty available online to save doing the maths.

http://www.csgnetwork.com/righttricalc.html

put in vane length as side b
put in the desired degrees of offset as angle A
click calculate
offset distance is side a

so for a 4" vane with 2° offset, the actual amount of offset from front to rear is 0.14", or about 9/64ths.

this is a 2 degree offset.
1.79°, actually. :D

·
Beer Whisperer
11,211 Posts
offset percentage is easily calculated with some simple trigonometry. :D
Easy and simple are not words I use when discussing trigonometry. heck, if it werent for iphone auto spell, i doubt i could even spell it! Lol!

Thanks for the link and lesson though. Been 36 yrs since simple trig in HS.

·
Registered
3,807 Posts
With most shafts you probably won't get much more than two degrees of offset and still have the vane contact the shaft!
Listen to N&B, and, or, try caspian's method.
They got it going on!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts