Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought these off of an older guy....He said he has had them for years and has not messed with them more than 1 or 2 times. I cant find much about them......I know the one must be after a 1978 because it was made in Gansville, FL, the other was made in Grayling, MI I think pre 1978? Thats about all the info I know or think I know? I would like to sell these....But want to ask a realistic price...And I would like to know more about them. I think they may have been made for younger archers and for target shooting????? I would hope they are also hunting bows? Please anyone know about these?

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
More on these bows>>>bear premium sight plate

I seen these Bear premium sight plates for sale on Ebay for $75....Without pin $57....Both these bows have these bear sight plates but no pin......They have the screw but the actual pins are missing. Im not sure what the bows are worth but it sounds like the sight plates bring some value.....I read that they are rare or hard to find? ANYONE know about these sights?

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
Howdy…

Okay, I’ll take a wild stab at this…and mostly because I’ve seen these bows but not in Bear’s mainstream catalogs. That said, I would strongly suspect these bows were more likely available in a more commercial/institutional type recreational setting, i.e. schools, or whatever. Where bows for more personal use were marked with a more precise draw weight I would suspect the draw weights on these fell into specific ranges that were represented by the large back numeral, making it much easier to choose a bow on sight…and, without having to grab each and every bow to read the fine print (it would take too much of class time just distributing the right bow to the right student). Also, it is my present understanding that these bows went up to number 6.

As far as the value of the site plates goes, I’ve noticed the same thing…the plate alone often rivals the value of the bow. And the thing there is that not all Bear bows that were routed out to accommodate a sight had one…many were sold with blank plates as the sight was optional. (Personally, I’d trade my sight plates for blank ones, but that’s me.) The sight plate was also fitted with a brush rest and a nylon/plastic adjustment screw as well as different style pins, but it hasn’t seemed to distract too much from the value if the rest and screw are missing. Good Luck with them, Rick.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks

I think your on the right track......I spoke with a local archery shop and he had a little info for me. He said that these may have been made for a school or some company etc. Also that the sights are hard to find and worth $40-$75 each As far as the number he thought that that was the years they were made???? But that cant be because the #2 was made in Gainsville, FL and the #3 was made in Grayling, MI. In 1978 the moved from MI to FL so that dont work...I would guess you would be right on the poundage 2 = 20# and 3 30#....Thanks.....ANYONE else??????

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
I would think the numerals might denote #5 pound increments, i.e. 1 could be 10-15#. It just wouldn’t work out for a 5 to be 50# and 6 to be 60# it we were concerning ourselves with novice archers…but again, that would just be my best guess. Rick.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts