Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting a new bow setup (23" hoyt excel riser and long inno limbs) and the only string I have that is close to correct length is short. To get the brace height somewhat acceptable (but still quite low) I had to twist it so much that the served ends are twisted. I will order a new string, but in the meantime am I risking damage to the limbs shooting it this way?

Thanks,

Mark

·
Registered
20,760 Posts
Mark -

No, but you will "technically" shorten the life of the string due to strand to strand abrasion.

Viper1 out.

·
Registered
4,585 Posts
Twisting the string will not hurt the bow at all but you should not have to twist things that much.

·
Registered
834 Posts
strings

twisting a string wont hurt the bow. Some strings have suggested min and max twisting suggestions depending on the materials. Most of the new dyneema have no max. just keep them waxed and clean.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I am getting a new bow setup (23" hoyt excel riser and long inno limbs) and the only string I have that is close to correct length is short. To get the brace height somewhat acceptable (but still quite low) I had to twist it so much that the served ends are twisted. I will order a new string, but in the meantime am I risking damage to the limbs shooting it this way?

Thanks,

Mark
No, i used to have a 1998 Hoyt Havoc with X/T 2000 limbs, my uncle had it and i shot it for about 5 years with an average of shootin 30000 arrows a year, i got a new string on it and the guy i had to put the new string on twisted the string way too much, and the string was so tight that it even ovelapped itself. the limbs were fine but the string wear sucked a lot. only had it for a year and then it started showing wear even though i waxed it every week

but i got rid of that bow and got me the 08 Bowtech Allegiance. shoots a lot better than my old bow :teeth:

·
Registered
571 Posts
Side track. Why 23" riser with long limbs? Why not 25" with medium? I am curious.

·
Registered
20,760 Posts
84 -

Other than that's what he had ... The short riser/long limb combo should IN THEORY (OK, a popular theory in some circles) give a smoother draw through the clicker at the cost of a few fps. In reality, if you notice a difference ... :darkbeer:

Viper1 out.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the info, guys. I shot it today with the crappy string and it still shot pretty well. I am not really worried about string wear as I will get a new one very soon and don't use the long one regularly.

Side track. Why 23" riser with long limbs? Why not 25" with medium? I am curious.
That is a good question and I don't really have a great answer. I already have a 25" riser and wanted to try a 23" one. Since I draw 31" I wanted long limbs.

Mark

·
Archery Coach
23,297 Posts
twisting a string wont hurt the bow. Some strings have suggested min and max twisting suggestions depending on the materials. Most of the new dyneema have no max. just keep them waxed and clean.
too many twists means less efficiency. A heavily twisted string acts somewhat like a spring and sucks up energy.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts