Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Francis
2,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a jo jan fletching rig which i just did my first set of arrows with.

I tried to put as much offset as i could get with 4 inch vanes on my easton evolutions.

my arrow flight is kinda crappy, I am wondering if there is a point where too much offset can hurt accuracy in any way?

I am using the muzzy zero effect rest, I havent had a problem with my old goldtips and 3 inch fletch with much less offset on them , this is why i am asking

do the pros who shoot small vanes , like 2-3 inch still put offset on their fletching, and if so do they normally put as much on as they can get?

Thanks
Francis

·
Registered
144 Posts
I am no expert at all but I don't think you can put to much offset on an arrow. There is a certain point at which more does you no good at all. but I don't think it would effect accuracy.

Well, too much creates more drag and will slow the arrow down on a much more rapid pace wich could lead to your arrow becoming unstable at farther distances and will lead to accuracy problems. So yes I guess it can.

I use 2.3 inch vanes with about a 2 degree offset on my 3-d arrows and 4 inch vanes with a helical on my hunting arrows.
You want the arrow to spin but not be like a parchute.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Francis, there's any number of people here more capable of anwsering your question than me, but as long as you don't have a clearance problem I wouldn't think it should effect your accuracy. JMO

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
Are you absolutly sure you are getting full fletch clearance. Drop aways need to be tested by spraying the fletchings with powder to make sure they are set up properly. Other problems could be incorrect nock height or centershot.

·
Registered
3,499 Posts
I'm no expert either ,but I use a Jo-jan Multi fletcher also and I
don't go much over 2 degrees.No problems with flight here unless its shooter orientated.I guess if I wanted any more than that,Jo-jan offers helical clamps that go with the jig.
I can't imagine the offset your using should cause irratic arrow flight.Might be a tuning or spine issue.
Jerry

·
Francis
2,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
on the jo jan how do you know how much offset you have?

when you are at both extremes on the top and bottom with the marks what degree is that? (whats the most capable by using the guide markings)

thanks
Francis

·
Registered
3,499 Posts
Years ago I read somewhere that just a slight offset was the most accurate.
I set mine up that way and never went to the far extreme of the jig,but you can find out how many degees with a straight edge,level and protractor.
Once you have your nock set and glue on your first fletch you can use the nock as a reference.
An easier way would be to put the arrow in the bow and use the string and a protractor.
I don't think it matters the exact amount of offset as long as they are all the same.
Jerry

1 - 8 of 8 Posts