Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
I do turnips and alfalfa with nothing more than a weedeater a hard tine rake and the help of my wife and 2 boys age 8 and 5..... I can imagine that an ATV would really make it a LOT easier.

I do have a friend that has one of the pull behind ATV disk and it works like a charm for him but he only tills when the ground is pretty soft and a fair bit moist.

Steve

·
Born yank raised south
16,769 Posts
I have a nice set of discs for the 4 wheeler that I use in places I can not get to with a tractor. I place 2 bags of fertlizer on the disc to add some weight to the discs. It has adjustable gang angles and will cut virgin ground with a few passes. I then straighten the discs up and half cut the ground to even everything out. Make sure you get a set with adjustable gang angles as it really helps. I have a set made by Howse, who makes tractor implements. I add a piece of chain link fence attached to the disc with chain and drag after the half cutting to make a nice firm seedbed. Make sure you have enough 4 wheeler to pull which ever set you have because you do not want to overheat or blow you motor from pulling to heavy a set.

·
Registered
3,382 Posts
Check out the groundhog max.It does not look like much.They are small,light and inexspensive compared to other ATV disc.I bought one three years ago and love it for small hard to get to areas.They are a cutting machine.I have hard packed ,stoney ,reclaimed coal ground and it rips it up and the company stands behind their product.After I beat the snot out of mine I received an email asking for my input on the product.As far as I was concerned I abused this disc.I worked it hard.I told them that I had a couple disc that were getting loose from bearing wear.They e mailed me back with a phone number to call them.They sent me new replacement disc and bearings free of charge.He told me they had a few with bearing issues and that a new design had taken care of those issues with the 2010 models.My warrenty had been over,I never complained about the product and they still took care of me.They are very popular over on the QDMA web site.Check out the videos on youtube.

·
Registered
3,822 Posts
Plant all mine using my trusty Polaris 400 and a King Kutter pull behind disc. Add some weight and go. 1st time plots are a bit more work, but once things get disced once, they turn up pretty easy the following year.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
thats all i use, i built myself a set of disks, a plow, and a harrow. Works great !

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
I do bout all mine with a 5 gallon backpack sprayer with roundup,,, the small clover,turnip,chicory,rape, or wheat seed grows just fine in the dead grass and weeds, sometimes i do run my small harrow or disc around the dead stuff to knock loose some dirt but mainly for fun........ good luck

·
Registered
988 Posts
I do alot of my plots with atv.

Hunterspecialties Disk, Rack mount sprayer, rack mount seeder, pull behind 48in Swishermower, 44inch cultipacker, bedspring, springtooth drag and access to an old pull behind 2row JD planter(210 I think). I've got a few implements for mine. My next adventure is going to be some sort of moldboard plow.

It can be done with an atv and its better than not doing anything. You may wanna look at renting a tractor/tiller or bobcat tiller for the very first time of tilling a plot, it'll be alot easier on your atv in the end.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Switchy those are awesome...did you use an ATV only the first time you cut the ground?
My friend used his tractor with tiller to work the ground the first time. I then used my pull behind disc to till the ground several times before planting. My disc did break ground on a few small areas that the tractor did not till and woked great. I think that the notched front disc really help break the ground better than smooth ones. I add some weight to the disc when i want it to dig deeper. The other plot pic is my "foundation Mix" at 12 days growth. One of the brassica plots is in the background.

Attachments

·
Registered
80 Posts
ATV's will do any work that a tractor can do, it just takes longer! You have to make more trips to get the ground worked up and typically implement size is smaller, but it gets the job done!

I plant over 5 acres every year with a John Deere gator (23hp), a 4' Plotmaster, a 150lb Spyker Fertilizer Spreader, and a 25 gal sprayer with 10' boom. This is enough equipment to get the job done, and get it done right. The Plotmaster is a great tool for this type of work and I would highly recommend purchasing one. This done take some investing but I am a believer that "you get what you pay for".

Good luck!

·
Registered
193 Posts
The guy i bought it from said it was a basic pull behind atv disc from tractor supply. He welded the frame on it so that he could attach it to the 3 point hitch on his tractor. I had someone weld me up the tongue extension so that i can pull wih my atv. If i get a tractor i can remove the tongue and use it as a 3 point again. It works well, especially when i add weight to it. I picked it up for 200.00.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts