Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering whats people's take on hunting be called a sport,with the retrospect of taking somethings life?.

·
Registered
8,069 Posts
i prefer to refer to it as "a way of life"

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
it's organic grocery shopping

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
I always called it more of a hobby, like golf, or chess. It's definitely extreme though.

·
Registered
160 Posts
it certainly requires a lot of skill and hardwork but I dont consider it a sport. If you do thats fine, but i dont.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
we need cheerleaders

·
Registered
9,265 Posts
You can call it a "sport". There is specific equipment involved, a field, rules/regulations, time limits, and people usually keep scores (antler points, beard length etc.).

:izza:

·
Bowhunt/Homebrew have FUN
22,679 Posts
hmmmm

merriam-webster dictionary
SPORT- a source of diversion : recreation b : sexual play c (1) : physical activity engaged in for pleasure (2) : a particular activity (as an athletic game) so engaged in

depends on your defition of sport I guess - for me I'd say its absolutely a sport that we constantly engage in on the oppositions turf -

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
i prefer to refer to it as "a way of life"
That's the way I look at it. For me, a sport is something that I do in my spare time. Hunting is something that I make time for. A sport is something that I spend money on IF I have money to spend on it. Hunting is something I make extra money for.
Its not something that I think about when fall draws near, I am constantly thinking about it and preparing for it.

I can live without sports, but you wont keep me out of the woods!

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
i wouldnt call it a sport, when i think of "sport" i think of athletic ability or skills, just like NASCAR isnt a "sport," but it def. takes a helluva talent to do...huntin is more of a way of life...more than a hobby.....hmmm....its....an ADDICTION!!!!! haha...or wallet draino?? haha call it what you want, i call it absolutely thrilling, pulse racing, adrenaline rush to the max, humbling, spirit lifting, therapy, that is food and fuel for the soul and something this country boy will do til the day i rest my eyes for the final time!

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
that's the way i look at it. For me, a sport is something that i do in my spare time. Hunting is something that i make time for. A sport is something that i spend money on if i have money to spend on it. Hunting is something i make extra money for.
Its not something that i think about when fall draws near, i am constantly thinking about it and preparing for it.

I can live without sports, but you wont keep me out of the woods!
agreed!!!

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
, just like NASCAR isnt a "sport," but it def. takes a helluva talent to do.QUOTE]

NASCAR is a sport. It says so right in the name.
Non
Athletic
Sport
Centered
Around
Rednecks

·
Former Wyoming Boy
8,664 Posts
At one time or another, I've played football, basketball, baseball and wrestling in school. Those are sports to me. Hunting has always been much more than that to me. Way of life... yeah, but that doesn't really do it justice. I mean, work is a way of life. Religion? Maybe. Closer, for me anyway.

I will say, shooting a bow demands alot of the same disciplines as sports do. Golf, bowling, free throws and swinging a baseball bat call for good form that you have to be able to repeat. And, if you've ever watched any of the players wizz down their leg from the pressure, you just witnessed them getting their sports version of a good case of buck fever!

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
, just like NASCAR isnt a "sport," but it def. takes a helluva talent to do.QUOTE]

NASCAR is a sport. It says so right in the name.
Non
Athletic
Sport
Centered
Around
Rednecks
lol well i officially retract my statement about NASCAR....its obviously a sport, i duno what i was thinkin!!! haha :darkbeer::shade:

·
Trollinus Maximus.
33,101 Posts
sport to some, passion to others, to each his own.:darkbeer:

1 - 20 of 71 Posts