Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an older (say 12 years) Hoyt Supreme that I have used for years. I am getting older, but the bow isn't. I'm not as strong as I was, but the bow still is....I was wondering, is it possible to change the wheels for ones with greater letoff? These are only about 50%. Can cams be used on this bow, or do I have to go to a newer model? I really like this old girl.

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
NOT RECOMMENDED...

That old Super Slam Supreme was a good shooting bow for me in its' day, after beefing up the factory fast flite cables. Be careful putting newer hatchet cams on there though. That bow has a reputation of noticeable cam lean. I would recommend just having the bushings in the cams changes, replace and regrease axles and new bearings, put new strings and cables on the old gal and ride! Going the other route is even more expensive and you might end up blowing a limb. Today's bows really are superior in the sense that the manufacturing processes used to create the bow parts are much advanced since the Super Slam days. The risers of today are lighter, stronger, stiffer and generally less worry. The cams systems of today's breed of bows are quite different, too. Take a look at some new models and you might be pleasantly surprised. Hang the ole' slam on the wall at the hunting cabin as a keepsake.
:)

·
Registered
16,232 Posts
Ditto to above.

You may want to try the Parker EZ Draw 33. (see there, I didn't advertise a hoyt).

This was made especially for ailing shoulders and shooters not wanting to blow a vein pulling it. Every bit as smooth as regular round wheels with a whole lot more let off.

Not too pricey either.

Merely a suggestion.

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
"I'm not as strong as I was, but the bow still is....I was wondering, is it possible to change the wheels for ones with greater letoff?"

Switching cams might be a bit of a pain, it's possible, but you have to look at limbs, cams, limb deflection, cam spacing, new strings & cables, etc. I am going to guess that a good proshop would end up charging you half the cost of a new bow to do it, and there is no guarentee it is going to come out the way you what it. If you are doing it yourself it might be an interesting "play" project.

Another thing, you won't find the cam cycles of harder cams nearly as smooth as old round wheels. You would get a lower holding weight but you might not like the *yank* to get through the cam cycle.

If you like Hoyt, I would recomend looking at a new, or recent used model with Accu-wheels. You get 65% let-off with a fairly smooth draw cycle. PSE synergy 65 & Merlin T-wheels are options as well.

-CG

1 - 4 of 4 Posts