Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question that I have often wondered about but never have gotten an answer to.

I will use Pearson and Bowtech for example.

I may be wrong on this but to my eyes the control wheels and cams look to be the same size regardless of model.

So my question is why do some models only go down or up to certain draw lengths? It would seem to me that the DL range would be the same for all bows regardless of the model.

Is it becasue of the ATA or geometry of some models? Or is it something simple like logistics on the companies part?

Somone please enlighten me.

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
It is basically a geometry thing. It seems the more parallel limbed bows become more draw specific. While the cams may look the same they do change some in size. The Trykon had several different cam sizes along with different string and cable lengths. Each of the Mathew cams are different sizes for the different draw lengths. In the case of BowTech and others they use modules to change the shape of the cable cam leaving the string and other cam unchanged.

The most adjustable bow, I personally like, is Martin. All of their bows are very adjustable in both draw length and poundage. They have a very wide range of cams and modules which will produce just about any poundage and draw length you would want. They are a lot more customizable than most bows are and, you don't have to have a bow press to work on a Martin.

Now, Oneida is another bow which offers similar features. I have seen them use quite successfully. But, they are still more noise than a wheelly system and are more mechanical complex.

·
300 or bust
13,140 Posts
i second everything Deezlin has said.

but also take into consideration patented technology which some companies hold very dear.

But primarily its geometry of the cam and cable take up module.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts