Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys so the last couple years I've been finding these spots of dirt in the mountains elk hunting and haven't been really able to tell what exactly they are or what's causing them. It's just a small patch of dirt that looks almost like has been a spot that has been bedded in, raked or scraped, or used to roll in. Can anyone explain what these are? Most of them are larger and mainly just dirt but this was the only one I have pictures of.
Soil Vegetation Grass Leaf Plant Military camouflage Natural environment Vegetation Forest Nature reserve

·
aka former "treeslayer"
7,533 Posts
Looks like a typical elk bed to me.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Some of them are larger and just straight dust and dirt. I figured some were beds but would they ever use something like that just as an area to mark with their scent? How often do you think some get used?

·
Registered
311 Posts
I would say moose rutting spots as well, I see these in late Sept and very early Oct here in western Wyo, they are on the smaller side.

·
Registered
8,122 Posts
i noticed spots like that this year too. most of them had wet spots and smelled like a bull elk. i knew i had found them!

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Dry wallows... i've seen dozens of bulls make these. They use their front hooves and throw the dirt over their backs.. more often than not, they urinate in them as well... our biologist says it is a combination of marking territory and fighting biting insects

·
aka former "treeslayer"
7,533 Posts
I killed my bull out of one similar this year, he was bedded in it when I spotted him. Moved in and shot him after he stood up.
It's the brown spot in the middle, basically a dry wallow.

·
RJ
3,391 Posts
Dry wallows... i've seen dozens of bulls make these. They use their front hooves and throw the dirt over their backs.. more often than not, they urinate in them as well... our biologist says it is a combination of marking territory and fighting biting insects
This... See em every year in ID and/or MT. The one a3dhunter shows is what I see every year (although smaller as the alder/huckleberry fields in MT/ID usually dont' have openings this large).

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Cool guys. Some of the ones I found looked like they're used fairly often. The country is VERY thick in this area and it might be worth hunting as they often work uphill to bed in this area. Maybe I'll throw a camera over it next summer and see what's going on exactly.

·
Registered
6,583 Posts
Looks like a bed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
i have been seeing same beds this year, i am guessing its from the dry year we had, seen alot of spots bulls using their horns to cleaar all brush, pine needles, and sticks b4 laying down.

·
Registered
5,613 Posts
Uhh It could be,, mineral / old salt licks?????

1 - 15 of 15 Posts