Archery Talk Forum banner

Can you hunt with a non-camoflage bow?

1106 Views 9 Replies 9 Participants Last post by  Meatco1
Hi
I bought an red fade 2004 ultratec because I'm shooting FIFA.
Now I also want to hunt some pheasant, so I'm wondering if this is possible without a camo bow. Will the red color scare them away or is it just the same?
What kind of arrowtips do you use for phesant - blunt or broadhead?

Cheers
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Michigander R.I.P.
5,613 Posts
Camo, we don't need no stinking camo

Filled a doe tag wednesday night and the only camo I had on is my gloves. Carhartt bibs( the ones my Rottweiler puppy been laying on) and green flanel shirt and hoyt bow cap. I was outside working around the yard and at 4:00 o'clock thought it was to nice out not to go hunting. Went out behind the house and within 45 minutes I had 30 deer around me. Glad I had the bow turned down to 56lbs. Had to draw really slow.

· Registered
401 Posts
You can use your non-camo bow for hunting just as effectively as a camo one. Especially for pheasant... I mean c'mon... most pheasant hunters wear clothing almost covered with blaze orange. If you're wanting to use a target colored bow for hunting deer, I'd make sure just the shiny parts are dulled so you won't get any reflected light bouncing off it. As for tips, you'll use snare tips which are blunts with wire loops so you'll have a larger hitting area and many use flu-flu feathers for vanes to help slow the arrow down and stabilize it better. Be prepared though to lose a lot of arrows and not bag any pheasants! You'll do better to shoot instinctively (no sights) and use fingers (no release). Good luck!

74,554 Posts
Deer see Black and white

Why not. Many deer have walked under me with blaze orange on.

· Registered
46,228 Posts
Heck Yeah.....my brother in-law killed a turkey and a deer with his bright blue PSE bow a few years back......give it a try worst thing could happen is the game spots you.....and I seen that happen with hunters in all camo and camo bows. ;)

· Registered
2,070 Posts
im pretty sure a red/orange/green/black bow will shoot just as good as a camo ;) .

deer are colorblind. they dont care what color it is. the camo is just to break up the outline. just be carefull with the bright ano finish flashing in the light and you will have just as much of a chance seeing a deer as anyone else.

· Registered
3,320 Posts
I've used a Rootbeer Conquest2 to kill several animals. I generally take a burlap bag, cut it into a long strip, and wrap the bow from the limb end, to the sight, skip down to below the cutout, then wrap to the bottom of the limb.

I do this to aviod glare.

Richard

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.