Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been shooting since the beginning of August and things are going well. I was measured at the shop when I bought my bow and we set it at 27". I've been putting 200+ arrows down range every week. In the past few weeks I've been noticing that a) my bow shoulder is going up at full draw every time and b) my pins are jumping around like crazy. Last night for the heck of it I decided to increase my DL another half an inch. It appears to have settled down my pins and my shoulders are in a more relaxed position. I'll do some shoot testing later today. Is it normal for your DL to increase over time?

·
Registered
Isaiah 6:8
1,260 Posts
I agree with ruffjason. Other factors can be that your string has stretched, release length but I would say most likely you have settled into a more consistent anchor, stance, and form.

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
Sounds like the shop may have set you up slightly short from the start. But, getting stronger and no longer allowing the bow shoulder or bow arm to collapse is also part of it, imho. Keep up the hard work. You're doing great.

edit: Have you added significant draw weight? That could make the bow draw shorter.

·
Registered
7,978 Posts
Get a pic of yourself at full draw, make sure you aren't developing a habit like leaning back excessively, which would make a longer DL feel better.

Don't think I'm on board with the string stretch thing, I would guess this would make the draw feel longer thus requiring a shorter, not longer, setting.

Also, depending on how the shop "measured" you, it could be it has always been short but your form has developed such that it affects you now, where as before the DL worked because the shop said it would work.

Reactions: blindman_22

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sounds like the shop may have set you up slightly short from the start. But, getting stronger and no longer allowing the bow shoulder or bow arm to collapse is also part of it, imho. Keep up the hard work. You're doing great.

edit: Have you added significant draw weight? That could make the bow draw shorter.
nothing crazy. i started at 50 and am currently at 54/55. don't plan on going any higher

·
Socket Man
23,547 Posts
It really doesn't grow, as you progress as a shooter your shooting form is going to hopefully get better and better. As your shooting form changes you will need to change your draw length so that your bow fits the shooting form.

The biggest issue is that so many of us have a incorrect draw length and we fit our shooting form to that draw length so we really never get the correct draw length.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Yes it can and for most it does. When you first start, you are timid, archery muscles have not been used. So over time with shooting you can stretch out those muscles and form becomes better and yes you may need to a little draw length. Opening up your stance on changing your setup can add length. Don’t ever let someone tell you” your draw length is what it is and never changes “. Bull. Look at Jesse Broadwater, without a doubt one of the best archers to ever shoot a bow and a couple years ago he went through a form change and added to his draw length.

·
Socket Man
23,547 Posts
I am a very strong shooter and just a few years ago I approached the pro level and those were some sweet years of shooting. The sad thing is that when I got a good bow in 2007 it was a standard 29inch draw length bow and I that is the same draw length that I used for the next 12 years. It took me about 5 years to get really strong at shooting and then I have 4 years of the near pro level stuff and then I tapered off a little. I was still a very good shooter but just not quite as good.

But, last winter we decided as a group to just stay local on our indoor leagues and not do big tournaments so for the first time in years I really didn't have anything to train for. I decided to work on my draw length all winter because I had never done it before. In the end I became a 30.5 inch draw length guy which blows my mind that I was a inch and a half short all these years. With covid this spring we had to wait till summer almost for 3d tournaments to get up and running but I did get to enjoy it all summer and my shooting was very nice.

The funny thing is that you really can't see a difference in my shooting form between me with a 29 inch bow or a 30.5 inch bow. I had the ability just like most people to have strong looking shooting form with either.

Just to be clear, I not only used good shooting form and performance both be factors in my 3 month draw length work. To do this job you have to move the peep sight and tune the bow to each setting and you have to spend time shooting to let the new setup settle in so that you can feel the effects it has on your pin float and hold into the wall and your shooting form. This is not a 30 minute session at some bow shop.

·
Socket Man
23,547 Posts
I remember the jesse broadwater thing. The one that really caught my attention was Reo Wilde, he has talked about changing his draw length a bunch in some of his interviews. It has been a few years since I read those but they are the ones that stuck in my mind that I needed to spend some real time and see if I am missing out on something. For a guy like me that shoots 30 to 40 3d tournaments per year and then dives right into indoor leagues and tournaments it is like there is a tournament just around the corner all the time so when do you just commit to something that is going to screw you up for weeks if not months. I am so glad that I did it though.

·
Registered
19,997 Posts
Anatomical draw length is a function of your anatomy. If you're not a growing person, chances are that hasn't changed. Functional draw length is a function of your form and alignment. If your alignment and form have changed, your functional draw length will change.

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
I've been shooting since the beginning of August and things are going well. I was measured at the shop when I bought my bow and we set it at 27". I've been putting 200+ arrows down range every week. In the past few weeks I've been noticing that a) my bow shoulder is going up at full draw every time and b) my pins are jumping around like crazy. Last night for the heck of it I decided to increase my DL another half an inch. It appears to have settled down my pins and my shoulders are in a more relaxed position. I'll do some shoot testing later today. Is it normal for your DL to increase over time?
Back when I first started shooting compounds in 1986, I was set up at 30 inches. The shop had a small range and gave me a lot of free range time with my bow purchase. Within a few months, a lot of things had changed as I got stronger and I got settled in my best form. The owner was watching me shoot one day and said, "I need to set your DL up at 31." He changed out the modules (on that ancient Bear Whitetail II) and that's where I been ever since. Over the years I've found slight differences in bow manufacturers' DL measuring standards, easily adjusted with proper string and cable twists. Strings do stretch a little too after they get shot in. It's definitely possible your DL could be longer than when you were first set up. Archery is more of an art than a science, so just figure out what DL is nest for you.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
so working from home does have some benefits. i had a 20 minute window so i went out back and shot a few arrows. shots are feeling much better with the added half inch to the dl. had to re-sight in, but overall a huge improvement and much more comfortable. i also need to tweak my counterslide a bit, but i'll do that the next chance i get to go back outside.

·
(aka lug nut)
47,642 Posts
so working from home does have some benefits. i had a 20 minute window so i went out back and shot a few arrows. shots are feeling much better with the added half inch to the dl. had to re-sight in, but overall a huge improvement and much more comfortable. i also need to tweak my counterslide a bit, but i'll do that the next chance i get to go back outside.
REAL simple. Don't copy the "pros". Experiment with draw length and find the draw size that makes groups TIGHTER. BAM. Done.

Later, as your skills improve, learn how to tweak draw in between module sizes. Example. This bow.

Bow company is out of production so parts are not available. Comes with a 29-inch draw module. Bow has been tuned to deliver real world 29-inches of draw length. So, it's IN SPEC. Here are the 20 yd groups.

So, I did a draw length test, by shooting bareshafts. The draw length test results told me to grow the draw length longer. So, ended up at 1/4-inch LONGER...which, of course, is in between module sizes.

NEW 20 yd results.

But, how does the longer draw "FEEL". Don't care.
But, how does the longer draw "LOOK". Really don't care.
But, did any pros tweak their draw 1/4-inch longer. SUPER don't care, and really doesn't matter what somebody else does. As long as the change gives YOU tighter groups, then, that was a good change.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts