Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey AT!

Looking to do a Canada bear hunt next year. Have any of you had A good experience with a guide up in Canada? Thanks.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Wish i still had spots, but we’re booked ahead with lists for years.

Its hard to find a place this late unless they have cancellations.

Do you want to hunt over bait? I may have a friend in the Maritimes who might be able to fit you in. I think he charges ~2000/week, but spot and stalk is impossible in boreal forest. They have lots of bears. Every year, a few of his clients kill some real bruisers.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Big Grass Outfitters in Manitoba they have lots of color phase bears. Tom and Judy do a great job putting you on bears.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Not sure this will help but I have been up around Armstrong above Thunder Bay in the spring and there is a nice bear camp up there.
Bears running around like rabbits in a Wisconsin farmyard. I go up for fishing but my guide would be able to put you on to a bear guide.
Might even set you up himself. Likable dude. PM me for details.

·
Registered
10,782 Posts
Grey Owl Outfitters in Manitoba
Sask Adrenaline in Saskatchewan. Mike's bears are incredible!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
395 Posts
Alberta is a hotspot for big bears. I live here, its is way better than out east as far as numbers and skull size. We have 40,000 bears now. Come get a few. my favorite hunt bar none.

·
Registered
8,301 Posts
Will be headed there in May for my 3rd AB bear hunt.

Alberta is a hotspot for big bears. I live here, its is way better than out east as far as numbers and skull size. We have 40,000 bears now. Come get a few. my favorite hunt bar none.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Ive been on at least 12 Canadian Bear Hunts from Alberta to Manitoba. Shot a B and C in Alberta 4 years ago. Although Alberta is good, after investing much time and money, Im going to say that Saskatchewan has the most trophies on the books. Manitoba and Alberta following. Saskatchewan is often overlooked for reasons I dont totally understand. However, they are consistently shooting giants. I know of 2 separate camps that shot 22" bears and more than a few 21" and a ton of 20" bears last year. Ive been to Sask Adrenaline. Mike is a great guide but I have found a place that IMO is better for true giants. The Canadian Shield that begins in eastern Alberta and goes to Manitoba produces the real giants....creased heads and huge bodies.

I don't want to say where this place is and who the contact would be but if you PM me, I'd be happy to get the info to you. Flying into Saskatoon on the 17th of May and driving 10 hours from there to camp. Hunting giant black bears is highly addictive

·
Registered
395 Posts
Alberta has bigger bears. We just dont register our animals. I am talking resident hunters. Lots of unregistered trophies here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
539 Posts
Alberta has bigger bears. We just dont register our animals. I am talking resident hunters. Lots of unregistered trophies here.

Im not going top argue with a guy that says they dont register their trophies but if you check the records (Boone/ Crockett...Pope / Young) more trophies out of Saskatchewan than anywhere else. Remarkably, there were quite a few from the states. However, genetics much better overall in Canada

·
Registered
395 Posts
Im not going top argue with a guy that says they dont register their trophies but if you check the records (Boone/ Crockett...Pope / Young) more trophies out of Saskatchewan than anywhere else. Remarkably, there were quite a few from the states. However, genetics much better overall in Canada
Very valid, majority of sask hunters are americans. And seems y’all love the registering thing.
I know both provinces very well and I would always place a bait here first. Either way, any 19” plus bear is golden to me.
The blacker the better too. Its soon be arrow flinging time.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Head north my friend! They can be found all over the darned province though. Best spots are along hwy 43 and further north IMO.

I know of one cinnamon phased black bear I have my eyes on and if I can catch him out of the dam park he will make an awesome rug. I've ran into him multiple times with my dog hiking in the off seasons. Never during bear season. He seems to have a reminder set and makes his way into the park in the spring and fall season. He is a beauty to!

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,301 Posts
Wish i still had spots, but we’re booked ahead with lists for years.

Its hard to find a place this late unless they have cancellations.

Do you want to hunt over bait? I may have a friend in the Maritimes who might be able to fit you in. I think he charges ~2000/week, but spot and stalk is impossible in boreal forest. They have lots of bears. Every year, a few of his clients kill some real bruisers.
I'm hearing of quite a few cancellations due to Corona fears. Place I'm going had 4 this week.

·
Registered
17,256 Posts
South Bay Outfitters in Saskacthewan has great bears and about 40-45% color phase bears. The only problem with them is they are booked up until 2024! Give them a call, they may have a cancellation for next year or get on the list to be called.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts