Archery Talk Forum banner

Canon DSLR hack

1492 29
Just hacked my Canon Digital Rebel xTI and this hack can be done on all canon dslr's it is VERY basic and requires no taking apart of the camera.

Materials:
2.5mm to 3.5mm Stereo adapter
3.5mm stereo extension cord

I cut the 3.5mm extension cord in half I plan on using the other half for the remote I am going to build. the three wires coming off will control your focus, your trigger and your ground. The outer shielding is ground the red wire coming out is focus or power, and the white wire is shutter. To insure this is correct plug the 2.5mm adapter into your camera and touch each of the wires to ground.

Since the DSLR have a battery save auto shut off the focus button acts as the power. and then you can take a shot with your shutter.
I have a whitetailsupply board and its currently working GREAT.
Next step is build a box for it. :darkbeer:
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

· Rob Beaulieu
4,301 Posts
How many wire's are you using for this hack 3-4

Another thing your going to want your controller board to power on and off the cam for timing other wise the board wont know if the cams off or on. I would think.

Just a thought

when its finished post up some pics.

· Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
its a three wire hack.

With the DSLR's you can leave the power on The camera will go into a "power save mode" where it turns itself off, to regain power you hit the focus button. This hack I did, hacks into the ground wire, the shutter wire and the focus wire. Your focus wire is now the "power" button it turns the camera on. Then it takes a picture with the shutter button. So far its working great, Have it setup on the outside of the box I have ready for my w7. Ill get pics up this weekend its very very very easy.

· Registered
6,055 Posts
Okay you are leaving something out. What is the refresh time. A control board will power up the camera every so often to charge the flash capacitor. The more often the camera has to be powered up the harder it will be on the batteries. To check this power on the camera and take a few pictures with flash. You want to time this. Now let the camera sit for an hour. Now turn on the camera and take a picture. You want to time this. If it takes a picture slower that means the capacitor had to recharge before taking a picture. If it takes longer you will need to try this at 45 minutes. If it takes a picture at the same timed time you can try an 1 1/2 hours for refresh. The control board can control the camera, but the refresh is preprogramed on the xlp. The sss board will allow you to change the refresh rate.

· Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
buckshot,
What you are asking for me to check is the amount of time it takes for the charge to bleed out of the capacitor while the camera is turned off? I just took a picture from startup after the camera was sitting overnight it was too fast to time. less than a second. I will try again in an hour or two.

· Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah I saw that which is what gave me the idea cause I have seen tutorials on how to build your own remote, which is what made me put 2 and 2 together. So after a 45 minute wait it was still instant.

I still need to mess with the camera and flash settings but this will be a good little camera, just need to come to grips with putting it out and leaving it. :pukey:

· Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
the main problem I have with taking pictures is the only camera I have currently, is the one being hacked and the other cameras I have are out being hacked. I see if I can find something it really is not that special of a hack but will make one heck of a game camera......:darkbeer:

· Paul
724 Posts
I have an XTi and I love that camera,....to be using it as a trail cam -- WOW, those will be some very nice photos. I have never built one, but I like reading what you experts say about "hacking" into the cameras and I like seeing the final results plus pix they've taken---I'd like to give it all a try---it's something I know I'd really get into.....but right now I can't afford another hobby - so I'll settle for reading about it from all of you.

· Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
violator I will get pictures up, this hack and the box to build the camera +the board to run it cost me around $65( I bought the whitetailsupply XLP board, which is one of the more exspensive ones)...and it does not ruin the camera, you dont even have to open it up. :darkbeer:

· Paul
724 Posts
violator I will get pictures up, this hack and the box to build the camera +the board to run it cost me around $65( I bought the whitetailsupply XLP board, which is one of the more exspensive ones)...and it does not ruin the camera, you dont even have to open it up. :darkbeer:
Are you just running off of remote cable?...I understand how that'd work.

· Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
exactly!!! its a stupid easy hack that works great. the focus is the power and the shutter takes the pictures. Since the canon has an auto shutoff that turns the camera off after 30 seconds of no activity it works great. :darkbeer:

· Registered
83 Posts
Nice going, I use the remote cord on the D100 also and i know of a few others that use Cannons and the pictures are fantastic. The D100 goes to sleep but will wake up and take a pictures in less than half a second with the flash, seems they keep the flash charged all the time so just a matter of hitting the shutter or in your case the focus and shutter, but is very fast.

It would be nice to have a 20mm fixed focus lens for a wider angle on trails but some of those lens are big bucks. Another trick is to set the camera up and take a photo during the day, then switch the camera to manual focus for nights. They seem to be more difficult to focus at night, I do this on stumps and logs where i know the animal will be located and in focus.

Will be waiting for some pictures, Good luck

cliff

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.