Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Long story short, I was all set on getting a Canon HF G20 to film my hunts with. Now almost any camera will work well in broad daylight but I am concerned with low light (i.e. first thing in the morning and right at that magical hour before daylight leaves). With that said, I can get a G10 for good bit cheaper and all the reviews I've read said that while the G20 is better at low light, it is really only about 20% better. I know the G10 was raved about for it's low light performance when it came out. Right now I have a Sony HDR-Sr11. While in broad daylight it takes excellent video, there's probably 30-45 minutes of shooting light before the camera picks it up. Also the G10 only has a 10x zoom. Now I hunt with both a bow and a rifle. Do you feel that this is enough zoom for a good quality video. If anyone has any actual experience with this camera, that would be great.

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
I use to run the G10. Now have the G30. G30 does better then the 10 in low light. But the 10 gets the job done if you work your setting right. The biggest problem and why I would spend the extra money is the zoom. The 10 is only a 10x zoom. Basically if a deer is further out then 50 yards the zoom is terrible. Spend the extra money on the 20 or 30. You will be glad you did. They are sweet little cameras.

·
Silent Death
2,895 Posts
I run a G20 with no complaints other than it still has 10x zoom, but I only now hunt and rarely hunt fields so it doesn't concern me much. The G20 and a good zoom lense would be my choice if you rifle hunt. No camera I have found have great zoom so your left with aftermarket options for decent zoom. I have a handi cam with 32x digital zoom that I can use when I just need see what's across the field.

·
Registered
17,783 Posts
Like pro38hunter mentioned above, the G20 only has a 10x zoom (same as the G10).

I would also step up to the G30 (like mentioned by waylonb19) instead. 10x is plenty for most situations, but having the ability to zoom to 20x (optically) is a big advantage. Whatever you do, turn off digital zoom and don't ever use it.

·
Silent Death
2,895 Posts
From what I understand you can, I haven't researched it much yet as the camera zoom has always been plenty for me.

·
Registered
317 Posts
I just posted a complete filming setup in the electronics classified on here. If anyone is interested I upgraded cameras this past spring and they are like new. Everything you need to capture the angle proffesional looking hunts. Xa20 main cam. 20x zoom and infrared capabilities.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts