Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
it's me again 'bad bad archer' . i can shoot the arrow where it's pointed but can't aim . i read 'idiot proof archery' as some of you suggested [happy to sell it to you for $35 shipped] and it says the shot release should be done with the subconsciece [sp] mind . as soon as the x ring is in my scope i shoot without really getting the chance to aim which makes for close arrows but not close enough . i realized that my subconsciece is doing the release which is what book suggested but that makes it uncontrollable . in other words i have target panic i guess . i'm open to suggestions [ other than reread the book] and again thanks for your time,hope i am not being a pain . .bc . . by the way thats with FINGERS

·
(aka lug nut)
48,435 Posts
big cypress said:
it's me again 'bad bad archer' . i can shoot the arrow where it's pointed but can't aim . i read 'idiot proof archery' as some of you suggested [happy to sell it to you for $35 shipped] and it says the shot release should be done with the subconsciece [sp] mind . as soon as the x ring is in my scope i shoot without really getting the chance to aim which makes for close arrows but not close enough . i realized that my subconsciece is doing the release which is what book suggested but that makes it uncontrollable . in other words i have target panic i guess . i'm open to suggestions [ other than reread the book] and again thanks for your time,hope i am not being a pain . .bc . . by the way thats with FINGERS

Need more information.
Not necessarily target panic. Could be, and then, maybe not.

Fingers shooting is much more complicated than shooting a release.
Arrow spine and adjusting the plunger button is very critical.

Maintaining even finger pressure is also critical to minimize high and low hits.

A clean finger release and followthrough technique also affect the flight.

If you like, send me a pm,
and we can work through and analyze this step by step.

·
Get out and shoot!
3,798 Posts
I'll bet your hold weight is to much for you or your trying to be to precise. Try putting a large piece of paper over your target without any spots to aim at. Draw and aim just enough to be sure you'll hit the target and consintrate on squeezing the trigger. After an hour of proper trigger pull you'll be back on track but don't try and punch the trigger when you are aiming at spots. The pin will float around a bit and consintrate on holding it steady and let the trigger finger go on auto-piolet squeezing off the shot.
On another note, shooting at a deer is a lot different than shooting spots on a target unless its a fawn. lol I always shoot at a 3-d target of a deer to get used to shooting an area on a solid.

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Just reading the book isn't going to help your going to have to try the recommended suggestions to solve your paticular problems. Cause if your thinking its going to go away overnight goodluck with all that.:eek:

·
Lou & Jode
10,783 Posts
big cypress said:
I don't agree with Bernie,I agree with Wonderle conscious focused form or exicution and subconscious aiming.Keep the bow side strong and pointed at the target and you can dance on the string or trigger and still put them in the middle.If you over aim and over controll the shot you'll break form and interfer with the bow relax and concentrate on the center of the target and let your brain aim the the pin.If you focus on a relaxed solid exicution target panic has no root in the shot,focusing too much on aiming and controlling the pin movement is breeding ground for target panic.Remember Bernie makes his living off of target panic stricken archers!

·
Registered
24,470 Posts
big cypress said:
dude your really no different than over half the vultures on this site.....actually they cant aim nor shoot....so your already in the top 50% of shooters on this site.....

but hey, bottom line...if you want to save a ton of time and trials and tribulations of curing target panic.....get yourself a carter evolution release....enough said

·
Registered
7,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
fingers yes. arrow goes where it's pointed . if i couldn't see impact point i could still tell you where the arrow is . I CAN"T AIM!!!!!! when 'bullseye' enters the scope my fingers release the shot with no conscious input on my part [or anyone elses for that matter] . actually the arrows are reasonably close and i see hope of improvement if i could just kick this habit . i suspect there are others going 'yep,sounds just like me' . basically i am making a passing shot . i appreciate your patience with me people . 'n and b' thanks for the offer i hate to take your time .let me work at this for awhile and if i have no luck maybe i'll accept your offer of assistance . . .peace

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
I'm no expert. You might try this: draw the bow with the string further up your fingers as if testing the draw, not planning to release it. Bring it to your anchor and aim. Aim for a count of one one thousand, two one thousand, three one thousand, four one thousand, then let down. Do this as many times and for as many days as it takes for you to get comfortable aiming on the front end. Then go back to your normal shooting position and keep the mental count as you aim and pull through your release subconsiously.

Might help, can't hurt.

Rick

·
Registered
7,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
3dzapper,tried your counting [while shooting at target] today . one thousand one,one thousand two, one thousand three, etc. and got to a thousand two a couple times but never made it further . i think it has promise . lastly i can hold on a blank bale all day, no problem, but let a 'goal' enter the picture and it's good bye arrow .

·
Registered
8,685 Posts
big cypress said:
http://www.archerylive.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=259
maybe this will help

·
Registered
8,465 Posts
A regular at the range had the same problem, BC. As soon as he was looing through a peep at any target !!WHA!!...off the arow went. Holding for as long as possible then letting down without shooting helped him. At least now when shooting the mech 3Ds all his shots are not in the back wall anymore.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts