Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So ive decided to get a new bow, im torn between 2 though, the Obsession Addiction and the Athens Afflixtion, I have shot the Obsession Phoenix because my dealer didn't have the addiction but I figured I could at least get a feel of an obsession bow. But I did get to shoot the afflixion and loved both. I was looking for a 35 ATA with 7"bh with speeds not being all that important as long as im in the 300 fps range because it will be my 3d and hunting bow. The Obsession had no shock or kick after the shot but the draw cycle wasn't quite as smooth as the Athens. But the Athens I shot had a kick to the left which I wasn't crazy about. Im torn between the 2, any opinions would be appreciated. I do know that I do not want another hoyt.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
My Afflixtion has no kick and is extremely smooth. The quality of the finish is top notch as well.

At 28in draw and 58lbs with a 393 grain arrow I'm getting 280 FPS.

I highly recommend.

·
Registered
8,248 Posts
the reason it was kicking to the left is because your grip. you will have to play around a little. I went from a Mathews to an Athens and I had to change my grip a little.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys the smooth draw of the afflixion was nice. I shoot a real relaxed grip so im used to havin a little downward kick. Id like to hear a few more oppinions on the obsessions tho. I

·
Registered
994 Posts
My Afflixtion is dead in the hand and at 70# and 29", I'm getting 308 fps with a 403 gr. arrow. Athens also has a LOT of custom finish options. LOVE my Flix!

·
Registered
2,503 Posts
As I have owned an addiction which I have loved I have owned an Athens before not the affliction but have shot it.IMO there isn't a comparison as I felt the addiction is smoother and user friendly.I don't know that Athens has any models out yet for 2014 hopefully they come out with something other than photo copying a bow with some mid evil maching and call it new...Athens can build a great bow hopefully they do for the Athens guys...

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
the reason it was kicking to the left is because your grip. you will have to play around a little. I went from a Mathews to an Athens and I had to change my grip a little.
what would you recommend with my grip to help the kick? Maybe grip it harder or turn my hand? Is it because of the more narrow grip on the Athens?

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
As I have owned an addiction which I have loved I have owned an Athens before not the affliction but have shot it.IMO there isn't a comparison as I felt the addiction is smoother and user friendly.I don't know that Athens has any models out yet for 2014 hopefully they come out with something other than photo copying a bow with some mid evil maching and call it new...Athens can build a great bow hopefully they do for the Athens guys...
Thanks Runninghounds. The obsession I shot was not as smooth as the Athens, the afflixion was just like pulling across glass it was smooth. The obsession was a Phoenix because my dealer didn't have an addiction and was just letting me feel the obsession, and it was alittle stiffer than the Athens, maybe the valley was longer? Im not sure but either way the obsession was completely shock and kick free. Almost to the point of thinking I had a stab on it. lol

·
Registered
8,248 Posts
what would you recommend with my grip to help the kick? Maybe grip it harder or turn my hand? Is it because of the more narrow grip on the Athens?
you may need to change the position of where the bow sits in your hand. if you look at Levi Morgan, his grip has changed a little from switching from Mathews to Elite.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
you may need to change the position of where the bow sits in your hand. if you look at Levi Morgan, his grip has changed a little from switching from Mathews to Elite.
I just wonder if it wouldn't be easier to go with the bow that felt the best flat out instead of changing my grip to shoot a brand specific bow?

·
Registered
217 Posts
I always go for how a bow feels in my hand first....If the grip doesn't fit i'm not going to be comfortable shooting the bow. if you have to keep changing your shooting style....you'll be inaccurate and disappointed with the purchase.

·
Registered
7,177 Posts
Make sure you are happy with the way it feels in your hand. I like the new Obsession Evolution. that was a great shooting bow. Take a look at Strother too. Athens makes a great bow but I like the Obsession and Strother better.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Contact Kevin Robinson at Pass Thru Archery at 828 273 2815 or PM him his AT screen name is completepassthru. He sells both Athens and Obsession bows and is knowledgeable about both.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks. Kevin is my local dealer and my bow tech for my stuff already. Great guy. He tried getting me to pick my favorite but both had pros and cons. Woulda been alot easier if he just carried 1 or the other

·
32,741 Posts
I've owned a lot of bows and the Athens Afflixtion is the best bow I've come across. It fits me so well and is the most accurate I've ever shot......I do love that bow and it just refuses to miss the bulls eye. I had to laugh at the bows accuracy the first time I shot it.....I couldn't believe how straight the arrow went to the target and it made accuracy for me really easy. I shot a perfect 300 NFAA score on the 5 spot target with the Afflixtion so I have to recommend the Athens for sure!

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for all the input im all but sold on the Athens.

·
US ARMY
962 Posts
I ave never shot the Obsession but own 2 Afflixtions now, I have owned an Exceed also. The Athens are top notch great bows, and awesome customer service. No other company out there where you can pick up the phone and call and talk to the owner and designer of the bows.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts