Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a pse brute lt in march 2010 and since have been fighting with it to get and keep a respectable grouping and I can't seem to do it it's not my for I have had matt at mn archery go over that with me. The only suggestion he had is that i am punching the release, I have tried to minnimize doing that and it has had no effect.
I have checked the tiller, adjusted every thing and anything i can think of. but at 10 yards its a 4 inch group and 20 yards its 8 to 10 how can it be?

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Either punching the trigger, or maybe anchoring different. If your anchor is even a little different between shots it can make a big difference in your groups.

·
Registered
565 Posts
I purchased a pse brute lt in march 2010 and since have been fighting with it to get and keep a respectable grouping and I can't seem to do it it's not my for I have had matt at mn archery go over that with me. The only suggestion he had is that i am punching the release, I have tried to minnimize doing that and it has had no effect.
I have checked the tiller, adjusted every thing and anything i can think of. but at 10 yards its a 4 inch group and 20 yards its 8 to 10 how can it be?
Ok,has the bow been tuned correctly?
Are the arrows to stiff or too weak?
Have you paper tested,walkback and group tuned.
If all is ok with all the above then maybe the fault is due to bad shooting form.
Are you holding the bow with a relaxed hand and in the correct position?
Are you gripping the bow after release?
Are you punching the release?
Are you shooting off your arms and not your back?
Have you got a consistant anchor point?
Are you aiming in a consistant way each time?
The list could go on.
If you get the size groups that you mention at those close distances then you would seem to have issues with bow or form (or maybe both).
Some pictures would be good.

·
Registered
4,305 Posts
Make sure the trigger isn't too far out of reach, it needs to be in the middle crease of your index finger and make sure you are anchoring consistently at the same point. When shooting, let the bow go off when it wants to, what I mean is don't when you feel like it punch the trigger but instead gently squeese and pull, squeese the trigger and pull with your back muscles and that you don't exactly know when the bow will release so it is somewhat of a surprise shot.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Sounds like target panic may be taking over

Try shooting w/o any target and just make a good shot---feeling the stops 'til the shot is gone

If it is shooting well you'll know it ----If not look for some bad clearance problems getting the shaft out of the bow---or way too much cable clearance/side pressure---???

·
Registered
5,562 Posts
even punching a little bit will give you undesirable results.
Punching is not the problem, some of the top pros punch.

The issue can be pros don't grab the riser when they punch, grabbing the riser can move the bow enough whilst the arrow is still on the string to make groups horrible.

A lot of punchers instictively grab the riser at the same time they punch the trigger, some times its trigger fractionally ahead of grip, sometimes both at the same time and other times grip then trigger.

This is why relaxed bow hands and slings make up an essential part of shooting top archery.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
can't get a good group

I figured it out! it was my release I was not letting it relax in to its chosen position at full draw. I was torqueing it and that was a big part of the problem.
Thanks to all who responded with advice.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts