Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've shot 3d for 20 years and indoor for about 15 and consider myself to know alot about typical set up. But this new long distance 70 80 90 meter stuff is altogether different. I'm shooting a 54lb 28 3/8 draw Vantage elite c2's with 540 navigators with 100 grain points. I'm using a .10 "BEST" blade. Yesterday @ 70 meters I was consistently shooting 8 to 9 out of 10 arrows right in there solid. X's and ten's. I go out there today and RRRRRRRRRRR OMG my group was about 8" wide with good height. Should I be using a .08 blade? should I shave the sides down to get rid of any possibility of contact? This is my first time with navigators and I need some help.

Thanks,
Bk

·
ArcheryLessonsOnline.com
2,013 Posts
A wide group like that is often a sign of a weak arrow shaft if everything else is correct..

-Adam

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ttt:(

·
The Foam Collector
2,335 Posts
Sounds like before you shoot, you may need to check that nut behind the risor.

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
Just threw some quick things into Archers Advantage and it shows WAY weak on arrow spine. What is the measurement of the shaft only...no points or nocks?

Also, my AA program only sez Cam & 1/2 Plus or Spirals....and you have C2's?

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The shaft length cut to cut is 27". I have tried everything.rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr:(

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
The shaft length cut to cut is 27". I have tried everything.rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr:(

I used data for 27" shaft length, 100gr point and pin nock setup w/ 3 - 2" fletch on a 3" wrap. You'd have to take poundage down to 49 to get it centered in spine chart. Also, FOC is under 10%. Uupping to a 480 shaft at 28" of shaft length would be optimum for 54# on your bow. But that is using Cam & 1/2plus in the setup.

If it were me, I'd drop the poundage and see how the groups react....that is a no expense way to trouble shoot.

·
Registered
2,968 Posts
I have 480's shooting from a 2006 constitution at 53 lbs cut to 28". They fly well for me.......so i think your arrows are weak as well.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guy's.

bk

·
Registered
34,166 Posts
I used data for 27" shaft length, 100gr point and pin nock setup w/ 3 - 2" fletch on a 3" wrap. You'd have to take poundage down to 49 to get it centered in spine chart. Also, FOC is under 10%. Uupping to a 480 shaft at 28" of shaft length would be optimum for 54# on your bow. But that is using Cam & 1/2plus in the setup.

If it were me, I'd drop the poundage and see how the groups react....that is a no expense way to trouble shoot.
The force draw curve is virtually the same on the C2 as it is on the Cam 1/2+....the C2 is just a few fps faster.

·
Registered
3,203 Posts
I am shooting 27" 480s with 110 up front, Hoyt 737 cam 1/2+ 55lbs.

This setup groups great at distance and tunes with a bullet hole through paper, oh and off a 10 thou blade.

·
Registered
6,657 Posts
Ditto on the above suggestions. I was running 480 Navs at 54#-55#, 28.25" (nock groove to end of arrow shaft), 100gr points, UltraElite w/ C2's and they worked very well on that set-up for me. I also tried some 540 Navs out of the same set-up and didn't care for the group consistency.

May want to drop the poundage just as an experiment to see if the 540's will work more consistently at the lower poundage. If so, then you'll have affirmed you just need to go with the next size stiffer arrow (480).

010 blade should suffice fine. May need to reduce the angle a little if you're using a TT SS2 arrow rest, assuming you haven't already. I know several, Cousins I believe for example, that use the 010 blade for pretty much everything. If you have access to an 008 blade though, wouldn't hurt to experiment. I believe the Best blades seem to react a little stiffer than the TT SS1 blades (shorter length, etc.) and there are some who are using the 008 Best with excellent results as well (I think Reo W may be using 008?).

>>----->

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
groups

I had the same problem with some ace arrows last week. turn the back end of the rest up to make the angle of the blade as flat as you can without hitting and youll see a drastic change in groups!

·
NFAA
2,624 Posts
No problems....

I am shooting an UltraElite with Cam.5 at 28"/54lbs. I am shooting 540's with an 80gr tip and pin nocks with a 26.5" shaft length. My FOC is 10.68% and they shoot great! I think that the issue might be in the 100gr points as it tends to show as being weak in OT2. IME, the Hoyts do seem to like a stiffer arrow than what the programs may show....

Scott

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks guys. I'm gona keep tryin till i get it right.

Bk

·
Registered
570 Posts
I've shot 3d for 20 years and indoor for about 15 and consider myself to know alot about typical set up. But this new long distance 70 80 90 meter stuff is altogether different. I'm shooting a 54lb 28 3/8 draw Vantage elite c2's with 540 navigators with 100 grain points. I'm using a .10 "BEST" blade. Yesterday @ 70 meters I was consistently shooting 8 to 9 out of 10 arrows right in there solid. X's and ten's. I go out there today and RRRRRRRRRRR OMG my group was about 8" wide with good height. Should I be using a .08 blade? should I shave the sides down to get rid of any possibility of contact? This is my first time with navigators and I need some help.

Thanks,
Bk
Man that is one weak arrow, I am surprised you got grouping, yet alone xs at all past 30 meters. I have a similar setup as you for FITA and use 3-28 500s with feathers to get my spine around 460.

·
Lowered expectations
17,104 Posts
Last year I shot 27.5" 430 Navs with 100 points out of a 60# Scepter with a 29" draw. Way stiff according to the charts and software, but they hit where I aimed. This year I'm shooting an Apex 7 at 56-57# with the same arrows, not yet had a chance to test them outdoors properly.

Would prefer 480s - anyone want to trade? :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts