Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I missed small 8 pointer at 10 yards from the ground and shot right under him! I can’t get over it. I can’t sleep. All those hours of practice and for what, to miss a deer at 10 yards! I keep playing my shot over and over in my head thinking what did I do wrong? How could I have missed that buck! Was it buck fever? I don’t get too many chances to go hunting and missing a buck is so emotionally draining. Any advices?
:frusty::frusty: :frusty: :frusty: :frusty: :frusty: :frusty:

·
Registered
3,528 Posts
Get back out there tomorrow...Their is no way around it that misses SUCK and they HAPPEN TO EVERYONE...I missed the first 7 deer I flung arrows at in my early bow hunting career...Since I got the first one under my belt, I have enjoyed a 90% success rate but those first 7 misses were nearly enough to make me quit...

I can remember a gun season a few years back in which I missed the biggest deer of my life (a solid 190" deer) and then later missed a nice 130" 8 pointer because my head was still so messed up over the previous deer...That was by far my most challenging day in the woods, but I was back in that stand the next morning before daylight and after three very hard days of hunting I finally connected with nice 7 pointer...The deer wasn't a mounter by my normal standards, but I fixed him up anyway to remind me never to give up...

·
Registered
367 Posts
Not to sound like a smarta**, but what yardage did you hold at? I know from experience as you get closer than 20 yards, you have to start using your longer yardage pins (ie 10 yards, use 30+ yard pin, 3 yards, use ~50 yard pin).

Still makes missing a pisser. I feel for ya. :beer: :beer:

·
Registered
3,528 Posts
Drog said:
Not to sound like a smarta**, but what yardage did you hold at? I know from experience as you get closer than 20 yards, you have to start using your longer yardage pins (ie 10 yards, use 30+ yard pin, 3 yards, use ~50 yard pin).

I'm not saying you're wrong...But I have never ever once heard any thought process like that...My bows pins all start at 20 yds and I have shot deer as close as 7 yards with those pins and hit exactly where the pin is...Can you explain why you think this...?!

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Drog said:

Don't think so? I shot at a deer that turned out to be 14 yards away. I used my 20 yard pin thinking it was 16-18 yards and I shot over its back. If I would've used my 30 yard pin I would have shot further over it's back... :confused:

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
deerhunter3241 said:
I'm not saying you're wrong...But I have never ever once heard any thought process like that...My bows pins all start at 20 yds and I have shot deer as close as 7 yards with those pins and hit exactly where the pin is...Can you explain why you think this...?!
My thoughts exactly man...

·
Registered
367 Posts
I thought the same thing until I tried it.

The thought process is your arrow's ballistic path plateaus (sp) at approximately 20 yards. Before that, your arrow is on an upward path and after its going down. What pin you use up close would depend on the speed and weight of your arrow.

You can also see this if you use a program such as TAP and print a sight tape with up close yardages. The close yardages will be printed over the long range yardages with something around 20 at the top.

Call me crazy if you want but its a mater of physics.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Drog said:

I've seen a thread or two on here about this over
the past couple of years. I think it kinda depends
on your bow setup, ie. poundage and and what not.

·
Registered
3,528 Posts
I'll be the first to admit that I know nothing about physics...But it's been my experience that theoretical science and real life are ofter two very different things...

I have seen this in deer rifles, where a deer rifle sighted in at 100 yds will be approx 2" low at 25 yds... But thats a bullet traveling at 10 times the speed of an arrow and it takes a difference of 75 yds to get that much variance which still wouldn't cause a complete miss of even the smallest deer...The drop you are speaking of does exist but is right at the beginning of the projectiles path and immediately begins to correct itself...Thus at the much lower speed of the arrow it has 10 times the amount of time before impact to make this correction...

If I was a betting man, I'd say science would lose this one...But if that's the way your bow shoots then you have to go with it...!

·
Registered
367 Posts
mizzou okie said:
I've seen a thread or two on here about this over
the past couple of years. I think it kinda depends
on your bow setup, ie. poundage and and what not.
I believe your bow setup will change how drastic of a difference you see. The fact still remains (also in regards to the rifle illistration) is your arrow path starts around four or more inches below your line of sight/sight pins. In a rifle the difference is 1-2 inches from bore axis to scope.

I'm not contending there will be a great difference at close range but it might make the difference between a heart shot (lower third of the chest cavity) and tickling the chest hair.

·
Registered
4,542 Posts
Step off the yardage from the base of your tree to where the deer was and then recreate the shot and I'll bet it will hit the same place. At some of our 3D shoots they will put a target up close (3-6 yds.) and you would be surprised at all the low shots, even misses. My bow changes at 8 yards. In other words my 20 pin will hit a little high at yardages less then 20 then at 8 it will be back on. At 5 I have to use my 30 and at 3 it was around 43 yard pin setting. This isn't a theory. Try it and see what you have to use for a deer that is in close.

·
NAASP
14,399 Posts
short yardage.

I think it is due to the actual arrow path and the distance from that and your sight. This creates a angle. A different angle than arrow drop. See your looking from above the arrow at draw and then down the way the sight and arrow path meet. I believe this and nock travel create this 10 yard and under problem.

As far as misses. Your not alone. The first deer I seen after getting back into bowhunting (after 10 years ) I missed. And that was a nice 8 pointer.

·
Registered
6,062 Posts
get out there and cut another one loose. that will cure what ails you!

·
Registered
776 Posts
Do you know what really happened?

This opener in Mn I didn't see anything in the morning, but in the evening I heard something coming from the NW my dad was about 70 yards away from me up wind to the NW I stood getting ready. All the years I've hunted with him 15 years (my dad has never missed) I heard something that sounded like he threw his bow at something I could see his tree but not him in it and didn't see him get down and then after a little bit I heard it again. Then I heard a deer snort and brush breaking and saw it ran by me. I sat tight kept my eye on the last place I saw the doe and waited till dark she looked fine as she ran by so I thought maybe there was another deer. After I met him back at my truck we went over what happened and found out that he staied sitting while he shot and he thinks he's cam hit the stand ( found a mark in the cam that could have been caused by the stand) He said she was only 10 yards away!! I wish I had that shot I practice at every yardage out of every stand I have up to 40 yards but never had to shoot past 25 yards
I'm just trying to say anything can happen to anybody at anytime. It all helps as long as you learn from what happened. Brad

·
Registered
826 Posts
it is better to miss then to wound and not find. maybe you were already butchering the deer before you shot it and what I really mean is that people that I know that had the same thing happen to them was they thought the shot was going to be so easy that they were not concentrating on the shot and just simply blew it. I concentrate on a 10 yrd shot the same as if it was a 40 yrd shot. also make sure you did not hit your clothing or anything else that would have made your shot go off its mark.

·
Registered
802 Posts
I agree with what the guys are saying above! Get back out there and do it again!

Trust me on this one! If you want to talk about losing some sleep! I would much rather totally missed the deer I shot at Friday night vs. Having hit him and not being able to recover him. That will wear you out!

Good luck to you and keep your head up!

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
everyone misses...if you learn from that miss and becoming a better hunter as a result of it in the long run you will be better off.Maybe missing a little 8 will make you focus and execute better when his dad walks by!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks everyone for your advices. I went back this morning and found my arrow on the ground 10 yards away. There where still fresh tracks along the corn field so I guess I haven't ruin the spot for the year. I'll wait until rut season to go back there. As far as my 10 yard pin, I'll shoot it again this afternoon to see if the pin is off. Live and learn I guess. Again, thanks everyone. Good luck hunting.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts