Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All:
I have a new (in Sept 2013) Chill (29", 68lbs, ripcord) and am not happy with the accuracy - I am hoping that it is only an arrow issue.

By all accounts, I should be using 350 spline arrows. So, I have been shooting Carbon Express Mayhem 350's. Overall, I'm not impressed - but am pretty happy with the Easton DOA Flatlines that I have left (400 spline). Here is why:

I can site the 350's at 20 yards and get decent groups. When I move to 30 yards, I hit 4" right. When I move to 15 yards, I hit an inch left. When I shoot paper [tuning] I have a left entry, right and high fletching (about 3/4") pattern. When I shoot the 400's through paper, it is clean. It just doesn't make sense to me. The 400's hit left of target and when I adjust for them, it seems to hold the line much better. Bottom line is that the 350's are leaving the bow like a stiff spline (btw I'm shooting 100gr points on both the 350's and the 400's).

Am I missing something or does anyone else have experience in this? I have not had the bow tuned or looked at by my shop yet but plan to right away. I would think at this speed/poundage/length I should be flopping the 400s hard left.
Thanks in advance-
Erik

·
Registered
3,319 Posts
1st. It is spine.

2nd. CX arrows do not list the spine on the shaft, it's a model #. So a CX350 is .337 spine (250 - .417, 450 - .298). Easton 400 is .400 spine.

3rd. At 7029 a 400 spine arrow is to week. I think a 340 is to week also unless it is a short arrow.

4th. I doubt the spine different would give you that much difference.

My guess it is a bow tune issue (or the archer, sorry). Try a simple walk back turn or even just a test. Shoot on arrow at 10 yards and sight your pin perfect there. Then go to 35-40, use the same arrow and pin then see if you are hitting right or left (I know you will be low). If you are way off it shots most likely your are out of tune. Then try the other arrow (spine). See what it does. If you want to try to fix it, move your rest just a 1/16" the way you want the second arrow to more. Try the whole thing again.

Other things. Arrow lengths will have effect on spine. Cam rotation, cam lean and other things could be an issue to.

Where are you in WI? (you can PM me if you like.) If you are in my area I would be glad to help. Good luck.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Whitetip and Ontargetvail:
I took the bow in to my shop and had the owner go through it. For one thing, I had probably stuck 300 arrows through it and have never had it checked - he said that the cams were timed well, but the nock was off.

Paper tuning at the shop showed that getting the bow back in "square" was a big contributor. From there, I replaced my ripcord with a Smack Down and am pretty hapy with the results (was leaning toward the recon, but they talked me in to spending less on a better rest!). While I still like the idea of the recon, I am not thrilled with the amount of mechanisms involved for where I hunt which is in the middle of no where.

So, I will stick with the CX mayhems for now, but will probably need some new arrows after turkey season.

·
Registered
4,283 Posts
1st. It is spine.
At 7029 a 400 spine arrow is to week. I think a 340 is to week also unless it is a short arrow.
1st. It is weak..... sorry, could not resist...lol!!

·
Registered
987 Posts
Most carbon arrows are not straight. Make shure you are shooting straight arrows. Generally carbon arrows have about 2 per dozen that are close to being straight. The rest of them will be way obvious crooked.

·
Registered
339 Posts
My Chill seems to throw 340g GT ProHunters with 125g Outback Broadheads really well.

The only thing, like most, I get contact on my Blazers, I read that changing the angle works, but for such a fine Bow, basically, unacceptable.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi All:
Often it seems that these threads just end up hanging - and I have a closure note to end this with so I thought I would post. After reviewing everything from all of you (thank you for the responses) here is what I have learned (and for what it is worth, my only opinion or bias is trying to be a better archer, not push a product. Too much of that crap on this - and most sites like it).

- My cables were stretched. I took the Chill to my dealer and had them go through it. They did it gladly (they want us to be better shooters) and my advice is when it doubt, make tracks...
- I put on a new rest. While I love my ripcord, I went to the SmackDown. Fast, easier, less moving parts. Loving it.
- My knock was high. That got fixed during the tuning part. We spent some time with paper and then I did some walk back. Liking the way things are flying.
- And here is the kicker: I ordered 12 Easton Flatlines in 400... Yep, 400. I'm shooting a Chill at 68lbs with 380 grain arrows and a 400 spine and they fly like lasers. I cannot explain it, the shop cannot explain it, but the X ring does. My bow likes 400 spine Eastons. Not Victories (fortunately I did not have to buy, but got to use someone elses), not 350 CX Mayhems, but the flatlines. For the record, it is on the chrony at 308fps...

So there you have it, I'm $120 in to the project (without arrows) and happy as an arrow with frothy red stuff on it.
Stay safe and keep your head down-
Erik

·
Registered
3,319 Posts
Hi All:
Often it seems that these threads just end up hanging - and I have a closure note to end this with so I thought I would post. After reviewing everything from all of you (thank you for the responses) here is what I have learned (and for what it is worth, my only opinion or bias is trying to be a better archer, not push a product. Too much of that crap on this - and most sites like it).

- My cables were stretched. I took the Chill to my dealer and had them go through it. They did it gladly (they want us to be better shooters) and my advice is when it doubt, make tracks...
- I put on a new rest. While I love my ripcord, I went to the SmackDown. Fast, easier, less moving parts. Loving it.
- My knock was high. That got fixed during the tuning part. We spent some time with paper and then I did some walk back. Liking the way things are flying.
- And here is the kicker: I ordered 12 Easton Flatlines in 400... Yep, 400. I'm shooting a Chill at 68lbs with 380 grain arrows and a 400 spine and they fly like lasers. I cannot explain it, the shop cannot explain it, but the X ring does. My bow likes 400 spine Eastons. Not Victories (fortunately I did not have to buy, but got to use someone elses), not 350 CX Mayhems, but the flatlines. For the record, it is on the chrony at 308fps...

So there you have it, I'm $120 in to the project (without arrows) and happy as an arrow with frothy red stuff on it.
Stay safe and keep your head down-
Erik
It sound like you are well on your way. Make sure you try the broadheads you will be using. Under spined will show up then if you are.

·
Fat Jesus
29,130 Posts
Yeah try shooting some broadheads, I've seen .400 spine arrows tune & fly perfectly out of 70lbs bows when shooting field tips but screw a broadhead on them and it's a whole different story. Now I've had some 70lbs bows tune & shoot .400's great even with broadheads, and some that you'd never get tuned with them....I don't know, all depends on the bow and cam system.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts