Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
4,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what will make a bow not reach its max draw weight?i bought a brand new 50-60 pound bow and it only maxes out at 58

·
Real helos, have 2 rotors
10,241 Posts
Two pounds isn't much. It could also be over specs in the axle-to-axle length.

·
Registered
4,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ATA is right to spec.bow is brand new so so string shouldnt be streched out and its a single cam.i do have some H&M strings on the way so that might make a difference

·
Registered
22,697 Posts
It could also have the wrong deflection limbs on it.

I bought a brand new bow. It was the same model, weight and everything as the one I already had. Way off on speed and actual draw weight.

Come to find out, the dealer had swapped cams out on it. Yes it is a Hoyt. He went from the #3 cams to the #2 cams without telling anyone. The 70 pound limbs for a #3 cam on a bow with the #2 cam takes it down to just over 60 pounds.

·
10,241 Posts
If the ATA, is correct, you need to measure the draw length and check to see that the module is at the setting, that matches the measured draw length.

For instance, if the measured draw length is 28", but the module setting is for 28.5", your cam is advanced. In order to correct it, you need to relax the string and cable, disconnect the single loop end of the cable from the cam and add 1 twist.

Check the draw length again and adjust with the cable, until it measures at the setting it is supposed to.

If your DL already matches the module setting, then your limbs are not providing the correct deflection. You will not be able to get them provide 60#, without taking the ATA, or DL out of specs.

Two LBS, will result in a 4 F.P.S. difference in arrow speed.

·
Registered
22,697 Posts
Excellent info but don't most bows run a little long on the draw length?

·
10,241 Posts
Excellent info but don't most bows run a little long on the draw length?
They shouldn't. That is what Axle-to-Axle specs and module markings are for.

If I set up one of my Martin/Rytera bows to it's manufacturer's ATA specs, and time the cam(s) so that the draw length matches the number on the module, the draw weight may, or may not, max out at the poundage the limb chart says it should. If I need 2 more pounds, I don't ****** the cam to do it, I go from a 3L to a 3M deflection limb. That way, when somebody else gets the bow, and installs a new string, they can set the bow to it's advertized ATA, time the cam(s) to the correct DL and will automatically get the advertized draw weight.

You can get a bow to max out at a higher draw weight by ******ing the cam(s), and it will shoot just fine. But it will be a longer draw length than is indicated by reading the module setting. That isn't the "right" way to build NEW bows.

·
Registered
22,697 Posts
Just wondering. I could have sworn I saw a thread on here about the DW running lond on new bows.

·
10,241 Posts
Just wondering. I could have sworn I saw a thread on here about the DW running lond on new bows.
Maybe it does. I'm just saying that draw weight and draw length are two numbers that are pretty important to the shooter and they better be what the bow says they are.

If I am setting up a bow for myself, I know what the DL and DW are set at, because I measure them. However, I doubt most people ever bother to check the bows they buy from a store. They just look at the sticker on the limb and read the owner's manual.

·
Registered
22,697 Posts
Sweet. Let's say a guy buys one new off of the rack and the axle to axle is about a quarter long. What is the best way to fix it.

Just trying to learn here.:) I actually have one like that.

·
10,241 Posts
Sweet. Let's say a guy buys one new off of the rack and the axle to axle is about a quarter long. What is the best way to fix it.

Just trying to learn here.:) I actually have one like that.
As long as the DW, DL and BH are where you want them to be, it doesn't matter if the ATA is above or below specs. It won't even hurt if it is two inches too long.

All the specs mean, is if dimension **** is X, and dimension #### is Y, then everything else will measure what the scaled notches, numbers or markings say they will. That's it.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
idk, i'm guessing that the limbs aren't quite right, or cams...however, i just got a bowtech general a few days ago, ATA is correct according to charts and so is the brace height, the bow has 50-60 lbs. limbs but the limbs max out at 65 lbs. so i got a little extra on mine, so idk what the reason could be for sure.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts