Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to decide on a cape buffalo arrow but will state I'm not looking for a massive arrow weight build. I don't feel it's necessary and yes I've done plenty of research.

My Bow
Hoyt Carbon RX5
80lbs
29in draw
28in arrow

I will need either 150 to 250 spined arrow. I'm leaning towards a FMJ in 250 spine or FMJ dangerous game in 250.

Does anyone have any other options in the 250 spine range. Especially anyone that has killed a Cape with a similar setup.

Any good carbon arrow options?

·
Registered
533 Posts
I've got a cape bufflo hunt for next year and this is the arrow I'm will be using.

Goldtip kinetic Kaos 200spine.
Ethics archery has a new hit insert in stainless steel & collar, total weight is 240gr.
If you use a 300gr BH, cut your arrow at 29", your total arrow weigh will be around 915gr with 27% FOC.

Sent from my SM-G985F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Whats the grain per each of the arrow shaft?

I'm wondering about the plus and minus with a carbon shaft vs FMJ shaft?

·
Registered
533 Posts
Whats the grain per each of the arrow shaft?

I'm wondering about the plus and minus with a carbon shaft vs FMJ shaft?
11.6 gpi
Easton has just released a Axis Match grade 200 spine (12 gpi).

I prefer a carbon shaft with a footer/collar vs fmj.

Sent from my SM-G985F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
You should look at the Victory Xtorsian arrow. And the Simmons broadheads. I think if you used a stainless steel insert of substantial quality and weight and like a Simmons 165 grain Tiger Shark. An arrow that weighs 700 to 750 grains moving pretty good with a long sloping blade and wide cut will do the deed. And maybe penetrate better than more weight and bulkier heads
And the only place I have seen Africa is on a map....so ...

I am just sort of extrapolating some other experiences with lower poundage draw weights and hogs.
Seems like there is a point when the loss in speed is counter productive. and thinner blades if they are strong with a long slope penetrate best when you start getting down there around 220 fps or so....I think anyway.

·
Registered
18,551 Posts
My cape arrow is a 150 spine black eagle rampage, mine is personally 918 grains but that can be changed with tip of arrow as I'm using a 250 grain head and 100 grain insert and two collars.
I shoot it out of my 82lber elite pulse.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thomas,
I've used the impact collar from Ironwill. Is this similar to what you used.?

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
Axis 260 - 150gr coc b/head = should put you around the 600 gr mark - lots of FOC and perfect for what you want.

·
Registered
871 Posts

I typically use the BEA Spartan with Ethics inserts and footers for my customers for Buff. Great shaft, very durable and consistent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
871 Posts
Another with the new VPA singles, same shaft using the Ethics insert/footer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Would a 250 spine be to light?
Not from your setup. .250 should be about optimal and fly JUST right. I haven’t hunted buff yet, but I shoot a heavier draw than you @29” also, and I love the .250 DG’s up to about 87#’s draw weight. Anything over and I’m going to a .200 GT, .170 Grizzlystik, or .150 BE.

For 80 pounds, that 17.2 gpi from the FMJDG is going to be moving about 250fps, give or take a few, and it’s going to carry a ton of energy down range. Like I said, I haven’t hunted buff yet, but I’ve shot thousands of arrows, so I have a bit of experience in that area.

What broadhead are you going to be using, and how many grains?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Big Fish,

I'm thinking of using the following

3 vanes. 10gr
Lighted nock. 20gr
Ironwill Coller. 10gr
Ironwill HIT System. 25gr
Ironwill S Broadhead. 100 to 150gr

1 - 14 of 14 Posts