Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that I have your attention I am just wondering if there are still restrictions regarding arrow weight and draw weight on caper buffalo in Africa?

As in would my 70lb. Carbon Matrix work or do I need to take the Maxxis DG?

My thoughts on this are that why would there still be an 80lb. rule when bows today at 60lbs. are faster and produce more Kinetic Energy than bows did at 80lbs. only a few years ago?

·
Engee Potgieter
5,888 Posts
Many would probably come with a smart argument where some 80# bow and 600gr arrows would suffice, but when it comes to dangerous game you can NEVER have too much penetration.

I would suggest a min. 90# Maxxis DG with a high FOC arrow of min. 800gr. finished off with a 200gr two-blade.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I see so basically 70lb. is not going to cut it?

Would you mind reccomending some outfitters to me? Feel free to PM me if you prefer...

Maybe this Fall they will offer Carbon Matrix in 90lb. I honestly like the Carbon Matrix so much more than the Maxxis Dangerous game not because of the draw weight the bow is just better

·
Engee Potgieter
5,888 Posts
The Carbon Matrix is nice, but in essence a AlphaMax 35. But I would not go under 90#, yes there are cases where 80# bows did the job, but that was when everything was perfect, something that is not likely when going after the big guys.

I am a booking agent for some of the better known and reputable dangerous and plains game bowhunting outfitters. So if you are serious about taking a Cape Buff together with some plains game you should send me an email and Ill put you in touch directly with the guys, I am not the middle man, I just give you good advice and put you in touch with a few guys that might be able to help you.

Engee

·
Registered
20,621 Posts
I see so basically 70lb. is not going to cut it?

Would you mind reccomending some outfitters to me? Feel free to PM me if you prefer...

Maybe this Fall they will offer Carbon Matrix in 90lb. I honestly like the Carbon Matrix so much more than the Maxxis Dangerous game not because of the draw weight the bow is just better
Your draw length will make a big difference in deciding this issue as well.

The Carbon Matrix is an awesome bow, but not near the top of the heap when we are talking high energy rigs of today.

With my draw length of 29", I would probably tackle a cape buff with an 80# CM, but I would not use less than a 900 grain arrow. Any draw length much under 29", I would seriously consider going to more draw weight and a more efficient bow.:)

If you want a cape buff hunt with a bow, I can offer you an awesome hunt.

PM me if you are interested and I can flood you with details.:wink:

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My draw is 29" or thats what I like to shoot, I could definitely get away with shooting a 30" though as I have before I'm 6'3" lol....

I am not just interested I will be doing this hunt not this year but next

·
Corripe Cervisiam
20,636 Posts
Shot my buff with an 80# Allegiance with speed mods and 840gr arrows= 103ftlbs. and Steelforce 210gr head.

Myself and my buddies got complete pass throughs with that setup. I would not use less and if I did it again would kick the arrow to 900gr.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What gives?

When I put in 900 grain arrows with an 80lb. Carbon Matrix I loose Kinetic Energy I don't gain the software I used was TAP...

Basically the lighter faster arrow has more KE according to the program but inst an allegiance similar to a CM?

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I got it pretty good now

80lb. Carbon Matrix 30" Draw

850gr. arrow at 232fps 102KE 17%FOC

or

900gr. arrow at 222fps 99KE 19%FOC

Would Either of these take down a Cape Buffalo Time to order another CM :shade:if so?

·
Registered
20,621 Posts
I got it pretty good now

80lb. Carbon Matrix 30" Draw

850gr. arrow at 232fps 102KE 17%FOC

or

900gr. arrow at 222fps 99KE 19%FOC

Would Either of these take down a Cape Buffalo Time to order another CM :shade:if so?
While I am not disregarding the program you used, in my personal testing using good grain scales and a good chronograph.......I have never seen a heavier arrow produce less KE than a lighter arrow, as long as the arrows were properly spined for the bow.:)

Either setup will work fine on a buff, providing you are using a broadhead designed for the job.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I would have to agree must be something I am missing in the Program oh well I assume one of them is close to correct on KE and both have a high Momentum.... Either would be fine but are they necessarily ideal? Should I start looking at a different bow?

Thanks for all your help by the way :D

·
Registered
20,621 Posts
I would have to agree must be something I am missing in the Program oh well I assume one of them is close to correct on KE and both have a high Momentum.... Either would be fine but are they necessarily ideal? Should I start looking at a different bow?

Thanks for all your help by the way :D
I think that either setup will be just fine for a buff. Your shot will be no more than 30 yards, and likely 25 or less.

BTW, since my beloved Firecat cannot go much past 70lbs. and heavier limbs are not available, my 2011 cape buff will be shot with a 90# Strother SR-71 shooting a 1000 grain arrow. I fully predict a complete pass through.;)

With my 29" draw length I am guessing that this combo will produce 128-130 KE, and a momentum number above 1.0:D

·
Registered
20,621 Posts
Strother huh? I have always wanted to try one..... What month of 2011 will you be hunting
It just depends on when I can actually see the highest number of my clients while I am there. It will likely be August or September.......or some of both.

·
Corripe Cervisiam
20,636 Posts
Maybe this article on Australian buff will fire you up- page 77 at this online hunt mag link

http://www.digitalpublisherpro.com/Magazine.php?member_id=2&pub_id=119&issue_id=375

The kill video is on Bowsite videos "stalk on Aust buff" along with other cape buff kills

I see Slick Tricks in your sig. That would be a mistake. I agree with BC- a heavy 2 blade with tempered steel [not just any old 2 blade head] is the ticket. Best of luck....

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Slick Tricks are for here I will definitely be using the German Kinetics I ordered some of the last ones :smile:

·
Fat Jesus
29,130 Posts
I dont know anything about hunting dangerous game other than they are big and dangerous, lol...But I do know if I was gonna invest the time & money "not to mention putting my butt in harms way" into a Cape Buff hunt I'd want the fastest bow I could get my hands on and then bump the arrow weight way up there and convert all that stored energy & speed into KE and knock down power. The Carbon Matrix is a heck of a bow but honestly I'd probably be looking for something with alot higher IBO speed rating, more along the lines of a PSE Omen or one of the fastest Strother bows. The way I look at it is the more energy I could get out of it the better.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I agree with your statement my only reply is I had an 85lb. Monster and I have an 85lb. Maxxis 31, Problem is they dont compare to my Carbon Matrix

By the way wouldnt FOB's be great for improving penetration as they dont have to travel through the animal?

1 - 20 of 52 Posts