Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
carbon 34 vs my current arrows (spine question)

Contemplating buying a carbon 34 (I currently own a vector turbo). I'd like to buy 60 lbs limbs but I've got a load of 340 spine easton acc arrows that I shoot through my vt & creed. According to OT2 I'd be overspined assuming I can crank the limbs to 62 lbs. My creed & vt are on the money when I enter the data into ot2 and replicate it when shooting for real, but with the c34 I'm wondering if I go with the #2 cam, e position for my 29 inch draw length (which reportedly bumps the energy/speed a tad) if that'd get me spined right, ot2 doesn't really allow that level of detail in their data entry ie: I usually set the cam info to "use mfg IBO" and that translated great in the real world, however it doesn't work in my c34 calculations. But if I use the "1x hard cam" or "2x hard cam" it works out great (on paper anyways).

Basically, my objective is to shoot a 435 grain arrow at around 275 fps from a new hoyt c34. This will be used for elk hunting so I need good speed, ke and flexibility at the shot as it relates to the forgiving nature of a little longer a2a and brace height. Essentially, I'm trying to marry the best features of my vector turbo & creed into one bow.

Am I sol?

Does this make sense? Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
436 Posts
stiffers is fine.. just paper tuned/broadhead tuned my switchback xt set @ 62 pounds 300 spine arrow cut to 27inc carbon to carbon @ 27 inch draw. shoots broadhead/field tip groups out to 50 with zero problems

·
Registered
17,345 Posts
Or you could add more weight up front to weaken spine.

I shoot a 300 spine out of a 50lb and 60lb bows but with the 50lb i add a 50 grain insert and use the noraml insert for the 60lb bow. (my arrows are 30'' long with a 32'' draw)

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
my arrows are 28 inches long and I shoot 125 grain tips (shuttle t broadheads). My other goal is to have all three bows shooting the same exact arrow setup. Don't ask why, it just is. I'm OCD like that.

·
Registered
5,613 Posts
Burnt, You should be able to tune the bows to the individual arrow you want to shoot. Some bows may tune a bit heavier on lbs. or lighter. but its worth trying to same some time and $ on tuning a bow for new arrows. They certainly will NOT be shooting the same speed or have the same KE but should tune to the arrow ok.

I did that with a parker and the vector 32, shoot 29" epic 340's at 425.5 grains and both bows tune well. One is 10fps faster but still shoots the same arrow with ease.

·
Registered
5,613 Posts
Contemplating buying a carbon 34 (I currently own a vector turbo). I'd like to buy 60 lbs limbs but I've got a load of 340 spine easton acc arrows that I shoot through my vt & creed. According to OT2 I'd be overspined assuming I can crank the limbs to 62 lbs. My creed & vt are on the money when I enter the data into ot2 and replicate it when shooting for real, but with the c34 I'm wondering if I go with the #2 cam, e position for my 29 inch draw length (which reportedly bumps the energy/speed a tad) if that'd get me spined right, ot2 doesn't really allow that level of detail in their data entry ie: I usually set the cam info to "use mfg IBO" and that translated great in the real world, however it doesn't work in my c34 calculations. But if I use the "1x hard cam" or "2x hard cam" it works out great (on paper anyways).

Basically, my objective is to shoot a 435 grain arrow at around 275 fps from a new hoyt c34. This will be used for elk hunting so I need good speed, ke and flexibility at the shot as it relates to the forgiving nature of a little longer a2a and brace height. Essentially, I'm trying to marry the best features of my vector turbo & creed into one bow.

Am I sol?

Does this make sense? Thanks for your help.
Burnt, ya need to check the tune chart on the carbon 34 to see if it will go to 29" on the #2 cam in e slot. It may be like all the others at 28" max on the 2cam with e setting. Not sure there.
Regardless a 60-63 lbs those 340's should shoot really well with a 125 head and maybe a 50 gr insert. May not even need that much.
I shoot a vector 32 63.5lbs, 29" 340's with total of 129 out front. They hit pretty hard.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Burnt, ya need to check the tune chart on the carbon 34 to see if it will go to 29" on the #2 cam in e slot. It may be like all the others at 28" max on the 2cam with e setting. Not sure there.
Regardless a 60-63 lbs those 340's should shoot really well with a 125 head and maybe a 50 gr insert. May not even need that much.
I shoot a vector 32 63.5lbs, 29" 340's with total of 129 out front. They hit pretty hard.
According to the tune chart the c30, c34, s30, s34 #2 cam option has max dl @ 29 inches/e, #3 cam option minimum dl @ 29 inches/c. The carbon & spyder turbos #3 cam is 28-30 inch dl range. I'm figuring it should tune well with my arrows given that my reading has yielded a number of scenarios where #2/e produced more power/speed (slightly) than #3/c. I was just looking for someone who'd worked through a similar setup and could confirm my thinking. Typically, I play with the ot2 numbers to get an idea of where I'll land with a particular change prior to making an investment - thus far with great success. This time around the software results weren't a definite no, but weren't a definite yes either.

Bottom line is that I love my vector turbo and creed, both equally, for different reasons. Looking at this years hoyt lineup it struck me that I could get the best of both worlds with either a carbon 34 or spyder 34 shooting my existing (substantial) stock of arrows around 275 fps w/ almost 73 KE. Those figures with a 6 3/4 bh and 34 ata just sounds like a great setup come fall 2014 when I'm drawing on a monster roosevelt when I'm hosed from hunting hard.

Thanks everyone for your help...think I'll mosy on down to the LBS and order a c34 and see how this little mental exercise shakes out.

·
Archery Talk Sponsor
3,557 Posts
>>but with the c34 I'm wondering if I go with the #2 cam, e position for my 29 inch draw length (which reportedly bumps the energy/speed a tad) if that'd get me spined right, ot2 doesn't really allow that level of detail in their data entry ie: I usually set the cam info to "use mfg IBO" and that translated great in the real world, however it doesn't work in my c34 calculations.

If the #2cams w/E position bumps the factory rated IBO, just bump the IBO. Stated IBO is 330. If the different cam set an module increases above IBO, change the IBO from the database after you "Apply" to reflect the increase.. STD IBO = 330. #2cam Eposition = 335(?). Just change the IBO to 335. If you use the "Use MFG IBO" setting, the 5fps change will change the spine required.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
>>but with the c34 I'm wondering if I go with the #2 cam, e position for my 29 inch draw length (which reportedly bumps the energy/speed a tad) if that'd get me spined right, ot2 doesn't really allow that level of detail in their data entry ie: I usually set the cam info to "use mfg IBO" and that translated great in the real world, however it doesn't work in my c34 calculations.

If the #2cams w/E position bumps the factory rated IBO, just bump the IBO. Stated IBO is 330. If the different cam set an module increases above IBO, change the IBO from the database after you "Apply" to reflect the increase.. STD IBO = 330. #2cam Eposition = 335(?). Just change the IBO to 335. If you use the "Use MFG IBO" setting, the 5fps change will change the spine required.
Thanks for the suggestion but the problem is that the ot2 results are not giving me definitive data that supports my hypothesis as I'd hoped, nothing wrong with ot2 as far as I'm concerned. At this point the modeling is correct, my theory isn't, yet. Moreover: that which I'd read elsewhere related to 2e vs 3c was anecdotal at best, not tried and proven using any kind scientific process so simply changing the baseline figures as you suggested wouldn't conclusively prove the end result I was hoping for. However, depending on my real world results I'll certainly update this thread...perhaps send you an email?

With my other bows/arrows I had experimented and failed then succeeded at getting the appropriate spine and arrow setup, at great cost to me. I took notes as that process was expensive and I'm an absolute freak nerd like that. Then I bought ot2 and realized I could have saved myself several hundred dollars if I had done so sooner because the data output nearly perfectly matched my real world results.

Bottom line = I trust ot2. But I'm going to spend some bacon to find out the variances. Essentially, it's that I want a new hoyt 34 inch bow, and I'm betting that I can get it to work with my existing stock of arrows...$$$...we shall see!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts