Archery Talk Forum banner

carbon arrow help!

356 6
hey gang, Ive been thinking about switching over to carbon. I shoot an old "buckmaster" bow 62# from 1996. Still shoots great, using aluminum shafts out to 40 yards. I shoot 2315 easton shafts, 125 grain muzzy heads, and my rest is one of those "timberdoodles" from the late 90's. Anyway, like i said she still shoots good, but all this buzz on carbon has me curious, but I do not know where to begin. someone at a "Dicks" sporting good store(fellow customer) told me carbon will let me go lighter to maybe 85 grain, and use the 2" fletching over the longer fletching. he told me I would be impressed by the results. Oh he also mentioned using the carbon arrows with the whisker biscuit rest.
Anyway Dicks has a sale on carbon this weekend, and was wondering you fellas thoughts on whats good, whats not so good etc etc. Thanks for any help!
Frank
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
4,193 Posts
I am an old dog too.....I was shooting XX78 2217's.....big and slow.

I switched two years ago and I wonder why I waited so long. Carbons are faster...straighter anmd more durable.

I shoot Carbon Force Radial X Weave Pro's but you should get whichever they are offering at a decent price. You won't be sorry. I got a little sticker shock when I found out carbons were going to cost me $120.00 a dozen when I was buying aluminums for $60.00, but they are worth it.

Go for it!!

· Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nice deer Joe! I am heading out tomorrow to check some stand sites up around three-Oh-one area. Also will get my permits this week sometime, btw if i get the doe tags we should hook up sometime this fall and do a number on them. I had a camera for one season, well, half a season, and someone walked off with it. that was before they made them with anykind of lock device. Nice to actually see the deer on cam though. Ok, its apple picking in the AM then deer scouting in the pm.
Hey you dont happen to know a guy from your area named John Panko? He is a big deer hunter in the same neck of the woods. Anyway, thanks for the heads up on the carbon, I will see if i can get set up on them in time. If not Im good on my aluminum shafts.
Frank

· Registered
4,193 Posts
Got my permit when I retrieved my camera yesterday. I won't gop back in there now that I see this buck is in the area regularly....just waiting on opening day.

I got two DMP's for 3N already and I am pumped for a great season. Good luck and keep in touch!

BTW Frank.....I don't think I know John Panko.....I met a "John" in the parking lot a few times but I thought he was from out of state.

· Registered
343 Posts
My .02

cmon gang steer me in the right direction~
Carbon Impact FatShaft 6500 almost 25fps faster than Beman ics hunter & other similar. They have a web site. .002 is great i cant shoot the difference or see spending the extra for .001. A W.B. wont get you out of the 90s ( I know i will get torched for sayin that ) drop away is the way to go or stay with prong. I use 4" helical feathers so they wont work with a W.B.. 100 or 85g would do great ive got montecs this year. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.