Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Shooting my 3D selects today, groups were great, one smashed another and I DID NOT inspect it!

I shot it and it blew up carbon splinters EVERYWERE!

Lots of pain and blood and 3 hours at the emergency.

Question, does anyone know of any problems with carbon splinters, got most out but some were to deep to get out, doc said it will work itself out in time.

Anyone have any experience on this issue?

WOW, if you think it hurts goin in try pullin it out!!!!!!!!!!!:eek: Had one 2" into my thumb.

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
I guess that's one reason I like aluminum just a bit more. Man, that sounds scary. Glad you are o-kay. As far as your question, I don't have an answer but I would think the ER doc would have told you if it was something to be worried about. Once again, glad you are o-kay.

·
Registered
232 Posts
hey x slayer i have and old remedy that may or may not pull the splinters out take the heal of a loaf of bread and tear o piece off as big as the arear you want to clean then soak it in milk apply to area and wrap with gauze leave on over nite shhould pull anything out may take a couple of tries but has always worked on anything i have had under my skin. i know sounds like a joke but it really works...

·
Registered
96 Posts
I think I'd get a second doctor's opinion. Don't mean to scare you but I had a local shop owner tell a story of someone he new that this happened too and the guy lost his arm because of infection. Worth checking out.

·
Registered
1 Posts
take the heal of a loaf of bread and tear o piece off as big as the arear you want to
take the heal of a loaf of bread and tear o piece off as big as the arear you want to clean then soak it in milk apply to area and wrap with gauze leave on over nite shhould pull anything out

WHAT A STUPID PIECE OF ADVICE.

Please DO NOT try "home remedies" such as the IDIOCY posted above, unless you have a large supply of Keflex and want to experience the joys of Gas Gangrene, Tetanus and worse.

·
Registered
11,769 Posts
i dont know that i would try the home remedy either, godwhacker, what exactly does that nickname mean?? just wonderin...easton94

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Godwhacker said:
WHAT A STUPID PIECE OF ADVICE.

Please DO NOT try "home remedies" such as the IDIOCY posted above, unless you have a large supply of Keflex and want to experience the joys of Gas Gangrene, Tetanus and worse.
Well, I would tend to agree that you should not attempt that "home remedie". I would ask that "GodWhacker" lol:rolleyes: maybe could have been a little more tactful in his reply. I didn't see in his profile that he was a Dr.

·
Registered
4,074 Posts
Godwhacker-

I think my grandmother used to call this "polstiss"? Maybe someone can help with the actual term. The funny thing is that it worked on a fiberglass splinter I got as a youth shooting bows. Maybe the 'old remidies' shouldn't be scoffed of so quickly?!

I do however also agree with getting a second opinion. I know one of my brothers has a piece of fiberglass in his thumb from a arrow he shot in junior high.....he is now 43 y/o and the lump is STILL there!!!!!

·
Registered
11,769 Posts
tap, i agree there also...seems odd that dr would just say oh they will come out eventually...i think i would have him check that regularly for a while. easton94

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks Guys

Well I know the paltice used to work for infection, but I am not sure about getting the renainder of the carbon splinters out.

Man, PLEASE FOLKS,,,,,,,,,,,,PLEASE!!!! Check those arrows, ALOT!

Pulling carbon arrows out of a target is ALOT more fun than pulling the carbon fibres out of your arm!

Off to my doc tommorrow to get the valuable second opinion.

Good news is no tendon or nerve damage,,,,guess I should buy a lottery ticket now eh ;)

·
Registered
487 Posts
I personally know a chap who...about 8 years ago had an ACC blow up and parts of the arrow penetrated the back of his hand and thumb. To this day, he is still having carbon removed from his hand. As I understand the medicos said the the carbon didn't show on x-rays and they can't be certain of getting all the particles. Over time these particles moved around and ended up in the joint areas limiting movement, this was the notice he got that more surgery was needed.

The surgeon was quite blunt, told the patient "if you want to certain a piece of carbon won't be travelling around in your body and ultimately ending up in a place where you don't want it to be...amputation":eek: :eek:

Thumb is still on...doesn't work too well...he doesn't shoot anymore, but:

cheers

·
Registered
232 Posts
godwacker i just dont know how to put this ................:mad:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts