Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Right now I have the opportunity to buy 2 Carbon Defiants, one is a 31 the other is a turbo, both come with QADX fall alway rests, one has a 12" fuse and a 5-pin Spot Hogg Hunter Hogg it for the same price as a new RX-1 bare bow. Am I crazy to get the RX-1?

·
Registered
143 Posts
I’ll give you my opinion. I currently have a 2017 carbon defiant 34. I’ve had the carbon Spyder 34 and carbon element as well. Before I purchased the defiant 34 after I shot all 3 of the defiants. The turbo was awful. It wanted to pull my shoulder out of socket. I did not like it at all! I just recently shot the rx-1’s. Hands down the best bow Hoyt has made in the last 3 years is the rx-1 turbo. It was quiet, very little noticed hand shock, it was spot on with Hoyt’s speed ratings, and most of all, it was very smooth and comfortable to shoot. I ended up ordering an rx-1 turbo 29” 70#. I honestly was very very impressed with it! So in my opinion I’d go shoot the turbo before you make any decisions. I’m not a big fan of buying used equipment.

·
Registered
4,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I’ll give you my opinion. I currently have a 2017 carbon defiant 34. I’ve had the carbon Spyder 34 and carbon element as well. Before I purchased the defiant 34 after I shot all 3 of the defiants. The turbo was awful. It wanted to pull my shoulder out of socket. I did not like it at all! I just recently shot the rx-1’s. Hands down the best bow Hoyt has made in the last 3 years is the rx-1 turbo. It was quiet, very little noticed hand shock, it was spot on with Hoyt’s speed ratings, and most of all, it was very smooth and comfortable to shoot. I ended up ordering an rx-1 turbo 29” 70#. I honestly was very very impressed with it! So in my opinion I’d go shoot the turbo before you make any decisions. I’m not a big fan of buying used equipment.
The two bows, the Defiant and Defiant Turbo are in mint shape, and both wear new custom strings. I've owned every model of Hoyt Carbon bows since the very first carbon demo model hit the shop. My favorite was the Element and least favorite was the CST. I shot the Defiant and Defiant turbo yesterday side by side and actually preferred the turbo. I can buy both of the Defiants for $1400us, both have Hoyt QAD fall away rests, side plates, and custom strings, and he is also throwing in a Hunter Hogg it 5-pin sight and 10" Fuse Carbon torch stabilizer. I don't think I can pass up this deal.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Buy the two with the rest

·
Registered
4,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Buy the two with the rest
I did :)

It had the Spot Hogg Hunter 7 pin sight, not the 5, a 10" Fuse Carbon torch stab and both bows have the QAD's and new custom strings on them. I have no doubt the RX-1 is a better bow but it's like buy one get one free. I'll shoot these for a while and maybe get a deal on an RX-1 Turbo a little ways down the road.

·
Registered
388 Posts
I did :)

It had the Spot Hogg Hunter 7 pin sight, not the 5, a 10" Fuse Carbon torch stab and both bows have the QAD's and new custom strings on them. I have no doubt the RX-1 is a better bow but it's like buy one get one free. I'll shoot these for a while and maybe get a deal on an RX-1 Turbo a little ways down the road.
Great choice

·
Registered
4,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Great choice
I'm happy with them. I just got back from shooting them, I also shot the RX-1 while I was at it.

435gr arrow and my Defiant with #2 cams and 70# limbs was 295fps, my Defiant Turbo with #2 cams and 70# limbs was 306 fps and the RX-1 set at 29" draw and 70# limbs was also 305-306fps. Draw was nicest on the Defiant, next the RX-1, and lastly the Defiant Turbo. Surprisingly the RX-1 had the most hand shock of the three. Lightest east also the Defiant. In all honesty I like the regular Defiant the best of all three.

One more thing, I never tried bare shaft tuning but both were shooting bullet holes through paper. Overall pretty happy with my choice.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Glad to hear it as I have a carbon defiant showing up Friday I got here on the classifieds instead of making a choice for a new hyperforce. Saved me several hundred dollars as I got the CD fully setup for the cost of the bare bow hyperforce. Glad it worked out for you and your experience is giving me more confidence in my own purchase.

·
Registered
4,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Glad to hear it as I have a carbon defiant showing up Friday I got here on the classifieds instead of making a choice for a new hyperforce. Saved me several hundred dollars as I got the CD fully setup for the cost of the bare bow hyperforce. Glad it worked out for you and your experience is giving me more confidence in my own purchase.
Glad I could help.

I just ran the numbers and what is really interesting is the RX-1 is bang on its ibo rating at 29" draw, but both the Defiant and Defiant Turbo were hitting 10fps above advertised rating with the #2 cam.

Initially I was worried about buying these bows because I'm a 28.5-29" draw. With the longer ata of the Turbo and the cam design giving the string angle of a longer ata bow, I was able to just lengthen the D-loop a hair and still get my proper anchor point. The regular Defiant was a bit more tricky to get, I had to get rid of the handle and put on side plates and twist up the cables a bit to stretch it out enough to get a proper anchor point. This was actually a win-win with this bow because in stretching it out I got the max poundage up to 74lbs and a 28.5" draw.

So on the scale my Defiant was set at 74#, the draw is 28.5" and it was spitting a 435gr arrow out at 295fps even. The Defiant Turbo weighed out at just under 70#, measured at 28" and shot that exact same arrow out at 305fps (both bows have D-loop and peep installed on the string). The new RX-1 was set at 29" draw and had the 70# limbs maxed out with just a D-loop on the string and was shooting the exact same speed as the Defiant Turbo but with a much nicer draw.

For what I want in a bow, I would not trade a well tuned regular Carbon Defiant for the new RX-1 Turbo. The Defiant is lighter, less vibe, and has a smoother draw and is only shooting 7fps faster in real life. (Using #2 cams maxed out in the Defiant that is)

Disclaimer: I did not weigh or measure the RX-1, I only know what it was set at.

·
Registered
698 Posts
I got a carbon defiant 34 a few months back it has a number 3 cam and is set at 31 in draw. It is smooth and fast enough for me. It is also lighter than the rx1 so I can add the weight where I want it or not at all. Mine shoots bullet holes through paper and broadheads well. Whats not to like!! I might like the rx1 better but will be happy with this bow for at least a few years n then can pick a an rx1 for half price if I feel the "NEED"! Ha

·
Registered
4,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The Turbo is in buckskin and the regular one is blacked out.

IMG_1443.jpg

·
Registered
329 Posts
Same here, blacked out regular carbon defiant! Mine arrived yesterday and I couldn't be happier after shooting a bit to get my 20 yard pine zero'd. Super dead on the shot, draw is nice and smooth, and is very quiet. I'm glad I went this route as I got it fully setup with everything but a quiver for less than a bare Hyperforce I was looking at. At least to me, no way after shooting this would the Hyperforce or an RX-1 be "that much better" that it would justify the price leap. Wish I had gotten my overall arrow weight yesterday but was shooting 273 fps at 29.5", 65lbs, on a #3 cam. Very happy with my CD and sounds like you are as well.

·
Registered
4,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ya I'm happy with them.

It's funny how quiet the bow shoots because when I was at my friend's pro shop and I took my first shot we both looked at each other and said "wow.... that seems slow?". So we pulled out the chrono and shot thru it, 295fps even with a 435gr arrow. The bow wasn't slow, it was so quiet it sounded slow.

It's really surprising how much performance I gained with the regular Carbon Defiant by stretching the #2 cam out to 28.5". I don't think I'll have any mechanical issues with the bow set at 74#. Compared to the draw on the turbo Defiant I think I'll shoot 4lbs more weight and 10fps slower with the regular Carbon Defiant, I think I like it more than my Carbon Element!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts