Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a deer hunter in Michigan. I am having a big pinch right now with what crossbow i should get. I want this to last me for a bit. At first i was completely sold on the wicked ridge (i am also a bow hunter) because it was made by Ten Point, and had a lot of Ten Point components. Then i noticed that Carbon Express had a really nice sounds setup as well. I cant find any reviews on the Carbon Express crossbows anywhere. Anyway, i know the trigger on the wicked ridge is amazing, my friend has one, i also know the wicked ridge is 2 lbs. lighter, but the carbon express seems to have a lot more connetic (sp) energy (105 foot pounds compared to around 75 with the wicked ridge). Also, the carbon express shoots at 330 fps, and the wicked ridge shoots at around 285 fps. Can anyone help me out, i want to be able to shoot out to at least 60 yards if possible, but dont think i will ever have to in the bush...main thing is i want one that is going to fold up a deer no problem and not have to replace it in the next 4 years...thanks for the help!

·
Registered
18,519 Posts
60 yards ... is almost unrealistic. It's akin to 400 yard shots on deer with a rifle. Sure, it's very doable, but you're a top 1% shooter/hunter with top equipment and you almost never see anyone doing it. The long range stuff is more suited to the Tac15's, Scorpyd165's and bows above 380fps. Unless of course if it's one of those all too common "send it and hope" stupid shots unskilled and undisiplined hunters are prone to. There is a big difference between 50 and 60 yards with a bow. So ... knocking the extremely long range out of the equation you're closing the gap a bit between the 285fps & 330fps. In my mind, there's no denying that 330fps is better than 285fps. Assuming a 425gr arrow for comparison and assuming 35KE to kill a deer, ... while the 285 still has 69KE at 50 yards it's dropping 58" compared to the 330fps's 43". Clearly, knowing EXACT range and knowing your arrow trajectory is more critical with the slower arrow. Particularly at longer range. So, if your decision is weighted primarily on which platform is better for killing deer ... the Carbon Express is your bow. Personally ... I'd buy the Wicked Ridge. LOL Apparently the bow is bullet proof. The bow is built and backed by Ten Point. That tells me "if," in the unlikely case of an issue, my bow will be back in my hands with no BS to deal with; quickly and as painlessly as possible. The bow is very popular and there are a lot of them out there. No knock on the Carbon Express bow, it may be a great bow, but I'm hesitant about buying a crossbow from an arrow company selling bows. My impression ... strikes me as possibly here today, gone tomorrow. A corporate experiment that the bean counters could pull the plug on at any moment. Then you're left with an Edsel. Who has parts? Who fixes them? Ten Point is a crossbow company building crossbows for a LONG time. If you're like all the other crossbow guys around here, 90% of your kills will be within 35 yards. Inside 40 yards with a decent multi-crosshair or multi-dot optic the Wicked Ridge would do just about as well as the Carbon Express. To me ... advantage Wicked Ridge.

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
Sz350

1 - 3 of 3 Posts