Archery Talk Forum banner

Carbon Express Maxima Hunter vs 3d Select

1512 Views 8 Replies 6 Participants Last post by  flutyflakes51
Hey Guys,
I just bought a new Hoyt Katera and will be shooting it at around 60#. Its a 28.5" DL and I'm guessing my arrows will come in somewhere around 28" or close to there, depending on where my QAD Ultra sits and how much overhang I give them.
I think I am going to shoo the Carbon Express arrows and am currently trying to decide between the Maxima Hunters and the Maxima 3d Selects. I want something that is tough enough for elk and moose yet want to get some good speed out of the Katera for the draw weight. Want to shoot 100gr points as well...
Any ideas on the difference of the two for my applications or any reason why I should go with one or the other??
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
2,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I will most likely go with either the regular Maxima or the 3d Selects as I'm not a huge fan of the camo on the arrows.....

Anyone have any good contacts for buying Carbon Express online?

Any difference in the durability of the 3d SS vs the regular Maxima? They look like they weigh the same.....

· She's baaaaack!!!!
20,603 Posts
I'm about positive the difference in the 3D Select and the Maxima is strictly the straightness. The Maxima is a top notch arrow. I'd get the Maxima for hunting.

If I remember correctly the 3D Selects are .001" and the Maxima is .0025".

· Registered
2,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Okay thanks.....

So really I wouldnt be giving up any strength or anything going with the 3d Selects vs the Maxima it sounds like.....just the straightness...

Good to hear.....would love to hear any other comments regarin these 2 choices....

· Registered
894 Posts
Maxima

I have your exact poundage and DL. Hoyt Vectrix.
The Maxima will actually give you MORE weight up front than the maxima.
And will be faster.

My setup perfectly spined at that DL and weight has a 27" shaft length with 100 grain BH with a 13% FOC with blazers. Same setup with Maxima Hunters was a high 11%.

These are actual FOC measurements vs software. The maxima is a bit lighter giveing more speed, about 7fps. The Hunters will give you slightly more Kinetic Energy.

Same durability, so thats not really a decision factor IMO.

My 2 cents is go with Maxima rather than the Hunters or 3d Selects.

· Registered
1,119 Posts
I have never shot the Maximas but used to shoot the 3D Selects. I also hunted with them last year. I found zero durability issues with the Selects. I used them a full indoor season then slapped some broadheads on for hunting. Had a complete pass through on a deer, arrow was as good as new. The only time they split or cracked was when I slapped them together during animal league. I don't think you could really go wrong with either one.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.