Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first post I have lurked for quite some time. I have recently come full circle and returned to the recurve bow. I recently picked up a Fox Archer High Sierra Recurve. I have a 29.5 inch draw,according to the scale I am pulling 54lbs. I am planning on adding a 100 grain brass insert to increase FOC. My goal is a min of 10 grains per lb.

I was leaning towards the Carbon Express Arrow for this set up. When I use the chart provided within the 3 rivers online catalog it recommends the 250 for a 30.5 inch arrow. If I am planning on the 100 grain insert should I add 5lbs? That would have me using the 350? In summation what would you recommend the 250 or the 350?

Thanks in advance for taking the time to answer this question.

·
Registered
7,101 Posts
Your not limited to 250/350s unless your going with the Heritage. CX Black and Terminator XP Selects have "tweener" spines sizes. Like 360 and 370 roughly. That said, I think most would steer you towards the 250s, but in my case they don't bare shaft well. I'm shooting close to your DW and DL, and 340s (bemans)with combined tip weight of 190 grains @ 30.5 long. I think it's the lenth that throwing me into that stiffer spine. You might try a 3 Rivers trial set, 3 of each, and see how they go for you.

·
Registered
6,765 Posts
This is my first post I have lurked for quite some time. I have recently come full circle and returned to the recurve bow. I recently picked up a Fox Archer High Sierra Recurve. I have a 29.5 inch draw,according to the scale I am pulling 54lbs. I am planning on adding a 100 grain brass insert to increase FOC. My goal is a min of 10 grains per lb.

I was leaning towards the Carbon Express Arrow for this set up. When I use the chart provided within the 3 rivers online catalog it recommends the 250 for a 30.5 inch arrow. If I am planning on the 100 grain insert should I add 5lbs? That would have me using the 350? In summation what would you recommend the 250 or the 350?

Thanks in advance for taking the time to answer this question.
Call Carbon Express, you will need to add waaaaay more than 5 lbs for the 100 grain insert.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for the information.

·
Registered
606 Posts
call carbon express and ask them
Thats what I did. I measured my actual drawlwngth, measured my dsraw weight at that draw length using a bow scale and called CS tech support. They re'd a length and spine size. It was spot on.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just got off of the phone with them. I gave my draw weight/length and told them I would be adding the 100 grain insert. They suggested 350 spine starting at full length.

·
Registered
789 Posts
one of my recurves is a 54# Blackwidow MA2 and it likes maxima 28.5" 250's with 225grain points up front (100gr steel screw-in adaptor and 125 glue-on BH's)

for me and Carbon express I always had to go extra heavy on the point ends to get them to bare shaft..

my 45# widow bareshafts a 29" heritage 150 with the 100gr brass inserts and 125 grain screw-in's also,,, wish I could get away with the extra heavy point weight but I can't.

Red44--> traditional shoots locally every weekend till august, let me know if you need details.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts