Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why are there no carbon fiber treestands on the market , or are they? I mean they would be lighter , stronger , quiter , and absolutley dominate the market IMO. Surely I'm not the only one who's thought about it before , they make arrows , car hoods , I've seen caribiner hooks , and Hoyt even makes a carbon fiber bow now , why no treestands!! There has to be some good reason , does anybody know it?

·
wannabtradguy
15,322 Posts
treestands have to pass that tma certification. maybe they are working on it but havent got it down yet

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Price and durability. From my road biking days I remember carbon fiber being brittle and developing stress fractures easily. It was common practice that if you got into a wreck of any sort you replace all the carbon on your bike or risk catastrophic failure. One thing that would be interesting would be to see non essential or stress bearing parts made of
carbon.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Price and durability. From my road biking days I remember carbon fiber being brittle and developing stress fractures easily. It was common practice that if you got into a wreck of any sort you replace all the carbon on your bike or risk catastrophic failure. One thing that would be interesting would be to see non essential or stress bearing parts made of
carbon.
I thought carbon was more durable than aluminum.

·
Archery
10,509 Posts
Sounds like a great idea but as said before I think the pricetag will be very high.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
I have one.... Made by Ol' Man treestands. It's a hang-on with a big comfy platform and its lightweight.... the seat is my favorite also. They don't make it anymore, but its my favorite treestand for 10+years now.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have one.... Made by Ol' Man treestands. It's a hang-on with a big comfy platform and its lightweight.... the seat is my favorite also. They don't make it anymore, but its my favorite treestand for 10+years now.
And it's made of carbon fiber?

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
carbon.
This is what I was thinking...I usually just toss my stands around and it seems like they would easily crack or chip and things would end bad when you climbed on it.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
I say an ad for one of those on ebay

·
audentes fortuna iuvat
19,471 Posts
Carbon fiber wouldn't take the beating an aluminum stand would. Tossed around in the back of a pick up truck, your aluminum stand might get a nick or dent. Carbon fiber could develop a crack you wouldn't notice until
it snapped and you came crashing down. I would not want a carbon fiber stand.

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
Carbon fiber wouldn't take the beating an aluminum stand would. Tossed around in the back of a pick up truck, your aluminum stand might get a nick or dent. Carbon fiber could develop a crack you wouldn't notice until
it snapped and you came crashing down. I would not want a carbon fiber stand.
that is REASON. if you got nick in carbon, it could split.only take 1 death and lawsuits would fly.overtime who knows what happens to carbon .does it breakdown do to cold/heat and bumping around etc?

·
Registered
3,084 Posts
Ol'Man used to have a whole carbon line including lock on's and climbers but they've all been discontinued. I have a few friends that still have them and haven't had any problems. They are most definitely quieter especially if you hit something against it.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
There are plenty of CFRPs (carbon fiber reinforced polymers) that are strong enough to hold up to any wear and tear you subject it to. I actually worked on a prototype when I was in college. Problem is, as some mentioned, the price of the quality CFRP needed just isn't realistic right now. This isn't the same carbon fiber that your arrows are made out of. This is the stuff that they are currently making aircraft fuselages out of (which is actually where I got the material for the prototype). It's truly amazing stuff and it makes a real nice stand if you want to pay about 10 times what you're paying now for a stand. I'm sure we'll see some stands in the future though as the prices come down.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts