Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sell me on it! I was torn between an Icon and Elite Energy 32 when I was purchasing new last January. I purchased the Elite since I could get it at a good price (model closeout) just above the price of the icon and after persuasion from the shop. I know, they are quite different, but I wasn't positive on whether to go light or stay with what I was used to weight wise. After shooting and hunting with the Elite for a season, I regret not getting the Icon. I think I'm ready to trade over.

·
Registered
494 Posts
my wife has an eva shockey and she loves it. Not exactly the same but pretty similar. She shot the eva shockey first, then when we went to another shop she shot a mathews stoke. The first two arrows were an inch apart at 20 yds the third was right between them, the tech that set it up asked how she liked the stoke, she made a face and said, "it feels like someone bolted a rock to the top of it", we were both kind of dumbfounded after the first few shots. Buuut yes, the light weight is nice

·
Registered
22 Posts
I’ve only been into archery since January, so I’m definitely a newbie. And I got into late in life (58). But my first bow was the Carbon Icon. I can’t say enough good about it. I would get a bare bones bow if possible. Not a fan of RAK components. I changed mine out. At 50yds my groups are the size of the bottom of a coffee cup. The Carbon Icon fits me well and balances nicely. I shoot 62 lbs with it currently. It is easy to tune and press. I love the bow, but have put it down for a bit because my wife got me the Rein 7 for Christmas. But in the end, get the bow that feels and shoots the best for you.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies. I’ve compared and researched the carbon knight riser bows and keep coming back to the icon based on previous board posts. Any riser durability issues anyone has heard of?

·
Registered
487 Posts
I have a Carbon Icon I purchased new in 2016 and have had no issues with the bow. It has a smooth and easy draw cycle in the comfort setting and is obviously light in weight . My Icon is 60 lb. and is the Camo version. I have since bought 2 more Bowtech's a Regein 6 and a Prodigy so the Icon in great shape and has been shot mostly indoors and not used for hunting. . If you are interested in buying my Icon pm me and I will send you more details

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Bbike. I appreciate the feedback and offer. I’ll be looking for a 70# and I’m leaning toward the black, but will keep yours in mind. Whats your setup?

·
Registered
5,445 Posts
Thanks Bbike. I appreciate the feedback and offer. I’ll be looking for a 70# and I’m leaning toward the black, but will keep yours in mind. Whats your setup?
I would suggest getting the Carbon Icon DLX package..... On Target in Grove, OK has the Carbon Icon DLX for $699

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
487 Posts
Bassinbuck: I set my Icon up with a QAD HDX rest and a HHA Optimizer Lite single pin slider sight. The upgraded DLX package that Bowtech offers is much better quality components than the standard RAK pack. I would advise to buy the bare bow and set it up with your choice of parts .

·
Registered
5 Posts
Carbon Icons have had a lot of warped riser issues. After 3 years with one Bowtech offered me a $200 upgrade to a brand new BT-X 31” for the trouble. My local dealer said almost everyone he sold warped. Have them checked friends you may not realize it. BTW- love the BT X 31” but I’m selling less than 1/2 price new due to too many bows!!!!

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Carbon Icons have had a lot of warped riser issues. After 3 years with one Bowtech offered me a $200 upgrade to a brand new BT-X 31” for the trouble. My local dealer said almost everyone he sold warped. Have them checked friends you may not realize it. BTW- love the BT X 31” but I’m selling less than 1/2 price new due to too many bows!!!!
Do you have any pictures of what that problem looks like?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
848 Posts
I know the carbon overdrive had warping issues, never heard of the icon having them. Sure you don't have the bows mixed up?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I emailed Bowtech today inquiring about the bent riser reports and here was their response:

“Thank you for your inquiries- we have not had any issues with riser warpage on our Carbon Knight or Carbon Icon. I am not sure where you received this information from, but you should not worry! Our Carbon risers on our new lineup of bows are as solid as can be. I can guarantee you from myself personally and our company, that you will not have any problem with a riser on the Carbon Icon, or the Knight. You should feel confident in buying yourself a new Carbon bow!”

It does seem that most of the warp reports are for the Overdives, I just assumed they all were the same riser. Do you think it is isolated to the Overdrives? If throughout all the carbon lines, do you think they have the issues worked out in the recent years models..?

·
Registered
13 Posts
I got a 70# Carbon Icon in July 2016. It has been my preferred hunting bow since I got it. I hunt most weeks through out the year (we have a 365 day deer season down here in New Zealand) and it has never let me down. I run it on the comfort setting at 70#. It came with the RAK package, but I replaced the rest, peep, and sight early on. I bought a PSE Carbon Air 32 ECS last month, so the Carbon Icon might not be used as much from now on but I have no plans to sell it yet.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I emailed Bowtech today inquiring about the bent riser reports and here was their response:

“Thank you for your inquiries- we have not had any issues with riser warpage on our Carbon Knight or Carbon Icon. I am not sure where you received this information from, but you should not worry! Our Carbon risers on our new lineup of bows are as solid as can be. I can guarantee you from myself personally and our company, that you will not have any problem with a riser on the Carbon Icon, or the Knight. You should feel confident in buying yourself a new Carbon bow!”

It does seem that most of the warp reports are for the Overdives, I just assumed they all were the same riser. Do you think it is isolated to the Overdrives? If throughout all the carbon lines, do you think they have the issues worked out in the recent years models..?
A follow up email response:
“The thread you were seeing was probably on the Carbon Overdrive, and people were getting the names mixed up (if you saw Icon or Knight in there as well). We have not had a single issue with the Icon or the Knight, reason being it does not have the Overdrive cam. The tension in the overdrive binary cables over time, we were seeing was beginning to pull the carbon out of alignment. Without this cable system & an improved cam system for our carbon line, we solved the riser warpage issues.”

·
Registered
42 Posts
Due to health reasons I have been out of Archery for 8 years. Wanted to come back and tried a friends Hoyt Factor and thought I would not be able to shoot again. Tried a Carbon Icon and WOW I am back at it and love it. Thanks to Bowtech

·
Registered
4,510 Posts
i am planning on getting one tomorrow. Been out for 5 yrs. Big bowtech fan in the past. I loved it

rick

1 - 20 of 21 Posts