Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if anyone has used these for hunting? I bought a dozen from cabelas and used them successfully shooting 3-D but Not sure about hunting. This is my first year bow hunting and I see that a lot of guys use carbon arrows to bow hunt with. I was a little worried cause I was under the impression that you needed to use an alluminum arrow. Heavier= more kinetic energy???? Here's my set up and tell me what you think. I'm shooting a 2002 Martin Cougar with Z-cams 28" draw, 60#. 29.5" 6000 carbon impacts, with 125gr. magnus snuffers. I'm only hunting whitetails. I know shot placement is the key but I also want to be sure I've got what it takes to do the job!!! Any imput would be appreciated. Good, Bad or??????

mustang

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Just a quick look at your setup but, you should have plenty of power there for whitetails. The key to bowhunting is not to have a setup that generates an insane quantity of KE, as you pointed out, it is to ensure you hit the animal well. There are guys out there hunting with stick bows and recurves that generate well under the KE of any modern compound and they kill whitetail every year.

A couple of points to clarify. KE from a bow is a factor of both draw length and draw weight. To put it in mathematical terms, KE is equal to the integrated area under the draw force curve. The only way to really effect it are to add draw length or draw weight.

Your arrow weight will not effect KE to any significant degree.
By going to a lighter carbon arrow you will pick up speed and cause your trajectory to be flatter (which will be more forgiving for yardage estimation mistakes) but your KE will essentially be the same as for the heavier aluminum arrow.

Just keep practicing and gain confidence in your equipment. You have plenty there to do the job! Good luck this year!

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
I agree with 98Redline about the K.E. effects. Shoot what feels good for you. If you shoot well and the arrow flies well, that is what you need. Put the arrow where it counts and good luck hunting. Post your pictures of your kills for us.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
I'm shooting the Ultrafast 7500's and have been for years. 7.9 grains per inch skinny carbon arrows. They're pretty durable, but not as durable as Goldtips. For the weight, they're the lightest stiffest arrows you can buy.

·
Roll Tide
2,687 Posts
I have been shooting the Fat Shaft 6500s for the past three years, hunting and 3D. I really liked the advancement of the new XLT series...because that eliminated the one thing I did not like about these arrows. Some love the roto-nocks...I don't. I found them to crack too easy. But you can put the Bohing nocks straight into the shaft and don't have to deal with those roto nocks.

I like the Orange grade of the Fat Shafts...Cabelas sells the low grade ones. But that's just a personal thing for me.

www.carbonimpact.com

·
Registered
14 Posts
You should be fine with these arrows. I shot CIs last year for 3D and hunting.

My hunting set up was:
67 lb draw
28 " arrow
53 ft lbs KE
with 100g Muzzy 4-blades.

I blasted completely through two whitetails and burried the arrows @ 5" in the dirt on the other side.

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
I've tried to shop them but found they have no website, and it's hard to find a spine chart.

No need now. I'm loaded up with years worth the Bemans.

·
Roll Tide
2,687 Posts
Hey Don,

I listed their website addy a couple posts up.

It's so easy you'll kick yourself for not trying it first.

www.carbonimpact.com

It has spine charts and weight specs and all the info about their shafts and other accessories.

I was fixing to order some of the Bohing nocks to replace the Roto Nocks and saw that the ad for them said they would fit the Easton Uni Bushings...so therefore that meant the UniNocks would work too. Sure enough...perfect fit into the Fat Shaft 6500s.

·
Registered
5,700 Posts
i shot htrem one season and they were great arrows. the only reason i am not shooting them today is they were aluminum carbon and the slightest bang seemed to cause nicks and bends so i went to full carbons
rob k

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
No need to boot myself, there was no website a year or 2 ago.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts