Votes: 24 21.6%
  • not as strong

Votes: 14 12.6%
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just want a general concesus of what the you guys thing about the strength of the carbon riser compared to the machined alum. risers...so just vote for whether you think its stronger, just as strong or not as strong...

·
Registered
289 Posts
i just want a general concesus of what the you guys thing about the strength of the carbon riser compared to the machined alum. risers...so just vote for whether you think its stronger, just as strong or not as strong...
Why would it matter what any of us think?
It can't prove the strength of the product. Even if 95% vote it is is stronger, what proof is that?
Kind of a worthless poll.
Brent.

·
Shooter of flesh
7,661 Posts
Why would it matter what any of us think?
It can't prove the strength of the product. Even if 95% vote it is is stronger, what proof is that?
Kind of a worthless poll.
Brent.
You're right, what everyone thinks, doesn't make any difference in the strength of the riser. But, what will make a difference is people's perception of what's stronger, and that's what this poll will show.

PS. Everyone's opinions here on AT are worthless, but we come here for fun anyway.

·
Registered
289 Posts
You're right, what everyone thinks, doesn't make any difference in the strength of the riser. But, what will make a difference is people's perception of what's stronger, and that's what this poll will show.

PS. Everyone's opinions here on AT are worthless, but we come here for fun anyway.
I'm kind of being argumentative, I'll admit. I still don't see how people's perception will make a difference. Maybe a better poll question would be "does this riser material make you want to buy it?"
Back to the original poll, assuming it has any validity at all, what aluminum riser are we to compare the carbon one to? What brand and model?
Or is it a question of the same design being constructed out of both materials?
Brent.

·
Registered
234 Posts
alright guys here is the point carbon is 5x as strong as steel and 2x as stiff so.... Carbon riser is better! It is about the geometry of the angles! Hoyt has the best developers in the archery industry. Pound for pound a carbon riser is better!

·
Shooter of flesh
7,661 Posts
I'm kind of being argumentative, I'll admit. I still don't see how people's perception will make a difference. Maybe a better poll question would be "does this riser material make you want to buy it?"
Back to the original poll, assuming it has any validity at all, what aluminum riser are we to compare the carbon one to? What brand and model?
Or is it a question of the same design being constructed out of both materials?
Brent.
Yup, depending on the design of each, it could go either way. Like I've written before, I'm into road bicycles and the Steel vs Aluminum vs Titanium vs CF will go on FOREVER!

I predict that the same thing will happen here. Instead of Hoyt vs Mathews vs whatever, will turn into Al vs CF until everyone is sick of it.

And then of course, some guy will come on and post a thread that says..."can't we all just get along?":)

·
Registered
12,053 Posts
I'm not an engineer but my guess is it would be stronger. I know the Carbon Matrix is probably the nicest shooting bow I have tried as far as riser vibration and noise. I didn't like it well enough to pay the price but when it comes to flagship bows I think Hoyt has a winner...

·
Registered
3,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
im just gathering some data compared to the average machined alum riser...i pressed this bow and after seeing how the riser reacts i thought i would see what everyone else thinks...ill just say i was VERY surprised...

·
Registered
289 Posts
I'm not an engineer but my guess is it would be stronger. I know the Carbon Matrix is probably the nicest shooting bow I have tried as far as riser vibration and noise. I didn't like it well enough to pay the price but when it comes to flagship bows I think Hoyt has a winner...
I'm with you, I simply think it is THE premier bow available, judging by build quality alone. If I were swimming naked in a pile of money I would definitely have one.
Brent.

·
Registered
289 Posts
im just gathering some data compared to the average machined alum riser...i pressed this bow and after seeing how the riser reacts i thought i would see what everyone else thinks...ill just say i was VERY surprised...
Sounds to me like you would have a better idea than most of us.
That brings up another question related to your poll, and that is your definition of strength. Rigidity, torsional resistance, distortion to failure, flexibility, impact resistance, heat resistance...you get my point. You may be able to bend the riser way more than an aluminum riser so it may visually look weaker, but may be able to flex more before it fails.
What did you see when you pressed it?
Brent.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
SOOOOOOO.....Exactly how did the riser react????

Glen

·
Registered
3,412 Posts
I kind of don't see the point of this poll either. It's stronger than aluminum, that's a fact, it isn't up for discussion.

·
Registered
3,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
SOOOOOOO.....Exactly how did the riser react????

Glen
there was hardly any flex to the riser when pressed almost NONE...i compared it to alot of other bows...and btw the new wafflehouse riser had the most flex out of any of the bows...

·
Registered
4,401 Posts
By the time they get around to mass producing bows out of carbon fiber, they will be starting to produce them out of CentrAL Reinforced Aluminum... It is lighter, stronger and less likely to be affected by fatigue than today's carbon fiber reinforced plastics...

there was hardly any flex to the riser when pressed almost NONE...i compared it to alot of other bows...and btw the new wafflehouse riser had the most flex out of any of the bows...
I would assume that the lack of flex in the riser would have more to do with the design than the material... although you probably couldn't get aluminum into a design like that.

It truly is a genius design. I showed a picture of it to one of my coworkers, a civil engineer and he was impressed with the design. He thought that it would be very strong without even seeing it in action (due to the shape and geometry of the three "bars".)

The only thing I could see being a possibl drawback with the design is maybe some twist in the riser... but I seriously doubt that has that problem after being worked on by so many engineers and such...

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
k this is straight from hoyt- 30,000 dry fires- riser is ok
cuts in riser to weeken it and 15000 more- still ok
they then took a 3/4 ton truck, ran it over and went and shot it, still ok
enough proof?

·
Registered
4,401 Posts
I would like to see it from an outside source... and then I will believe the torture tests from a manufacturer...

·
Registered
289 Posts
That is probably due to the riser design alone. That big Hoyt stiffiner that runs out of plane prevents too much movement. On just about every other riser, the weak point is the grip. It doesn't matter how stiff it is above and below the grip, the pinch point is the grip.
Brent.

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
I would like to see it from an outside source... and then I will believe the torture tests from a manufacturer...
You buy the bow and test it for us with a 3/4 ton truck.:wink:

I tend to agree with you,an outside source would be more credible but they do have pictures of the bow under the tire.:)

·
Registered
7,623 Posts
Another good pole would be... How many people have a real education and understanding of carbon fiber, and other building materials...

Then make the poll, and only allow the guys that voted yes to be able to vote in this one:confused:

Ive pressed one of them two but didnt really notice anything...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts